Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where excatly in Harford county is Conowingo Dam? I'm looking for directions and where to fish. Any help on those 2 things would be great and thank you in advance. Dumb search engines didn't give directions or a map.
TY,
JettyPaul

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Take US Rt. 1 (Belair Rd) through Belair and continue approx 20 miles. Take the first road on the right just before you cross the dam. Continue on this approx 1 mile until you come to Conowingo Rd. This is the 1st rd. you come to. Make a left onto Conowingo Rd and follow it to the end. It ends at Fishernam's Park.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Conowingo Tips?

What lures do you use there for Stripers,Bass,and Walleye and how do you fish them?Any tips are aprecicated.Can you wade there too?What size lures and colors are best?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Jetty...The first road before the dam is Shuresville Rd. I had a senior moment there and couldn't remember the name.

Pappy...For the walleye I would Texas rig a whole night crawler and slide it through some the deep pockets between the rocks. For the rock BA's are killers there but the absolute best method is to float live white perch. This isn't the same as livelining. I'd use a plastic float about as big as a baseball about 3' above a 8/0 or 10/0 hook (didn't know what circles were back then), cast up current, and let run until it started to swing back towards shore. For the cats I'd liveline bluegills or use chicken liver that had been soaked in garlic salt for a few days. Be very carefull if you're going to wade. The bottom is full of slippery rocks. It's best to carry a wading staff and make sure your waders are belted at the waste and chest. There's an island out there with power transmission towers on it. When you see red lights flashing on the island and hear a siren get to high ground. This means they are opening more gates at the dam. I've seen the water come up 6' in 5 minutes. Well that's Conowingo 100.

Catman.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi JettyPaul,

Catman's right about the rock loving white perch up there. I haven't been there since after 9/11. You used to be able to fish from the catwalk on the side of the dam. They've stoppped that now. But a lot of rock were caught on white perch from the dam (I even got a few). Live eels worked pretty well too. But they may not a good choice if you're shore fishing at Fisherman's Park. That water there is pretty rocky. It seems like the eels would get you all hung up in the rocks.

Most of the fishermen would catch their white perch someplace else and bring them. Others including me would catch them on the Shuresville Rd. side of the catwalk. But there was a bait store, (don't know if it's still there) down Conowingo Rd on the right side, that sometimes sold live white perch.

Also, I've only fished there in the summer. But many fishermen up there told me that when the rock leave (as they put it) the walleye come in. It's supposed to be good walleye fishing there too.

Good luck and post a report when you return.

Blue Heron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shad too!

And, don't forget the spring shad run at Fisherman's Park! Some real monsters showed up this year and last. Can get a tad crowded at times, especially on weekends, but you have a real battle on your hands when a jumbo shad hits your shad dart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts