Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trying up at the dam some point this week. Can somebody help me out with what kind of tackle setup I should be using? I've only been there once and was completely unprepared. Any tips is greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time guys!

·
Registered
108 Posts
https://youtu.be/paeDJskqmmI

Check out this video. This guy has personally helped me out quite a bit. I've caught nice stripers there and my biggest and only flathead weighing in at 29lbs. Hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer any questions and try to help the best I can.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Whenever i go i use a wire hi / lo bottom rig w/ 3 or 4oz weight. You will get snagged so be prepared w/ extra tackle. Good luck.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Idda know about throwing bait in the Dam pool?

When I fished there a couple years back, here's the technique everyone was using: 10-15' surf rod loaded up w/ 20# braid. throwing a 3-4oz in-line sinker, 12 to 18" flouro or mono leader tied to a 3" fluke on a 1/0 hook. the longer the cast, the more success on Rockfish and Flatheads along w/ the occasional Walleye. Always keeping your lure moving in the current or you'll get hung.

Like Q said, be prepared to loose a lotta gear. If your not losing gear, your not catching. Very difficult place to fish but can be rewarding.

Guys are standing shoulder to shoulder so team work and proper rotation is a must or you'll tangle everyone up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
idda know about throwing bait in the dam pool?

When i fished there a couple years back, here's the technique everyone was using: 10-15' surf rod loaded up w/ 20# braid. Throwing a 3-4oz in-line sinker, 12 to 18" flouro or mono leader tied to a 3" fluke on a 1/0 hook. The longer the cast, the more success on rockfish and flatheads along w/ the occasional walleye. Always keeping your lure moving in the current or you'll get hung.

Like q said, be prepared to loose a lotta gear. If your not losing gear, your not catching. Very difficult place to fish but can be rewarding.

Guys are standing shoulder to shoulder so team work and proper rotation is a must or you'll tangle everyone up.
cali is correct. Cast out towards the middle and find a hole and let it set or drift in current. I ALSO DONT FISH CLOSE TO THE DAM.;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips and that video was very helpful Rich. My first time I went I was completely unprepared and lost a lot of tackle. Now I know that is to be expected but I wasn't fishing the right method it seems. But this time I'm going to do more research before hand. Now it's been a couple years and I know the crowd can be thick there, I'm hoping that going on a weekday evening it won't be as bad. This is one of the better fishing spots(from what I've heard) that's not an hour and a half or more away from me. So hoping to at least gain enough knowledge to make it manageable lol

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Thanks for the tips and that video was very helpful Rich. My first time I went I was completely unprepared and lost a lot of tackle. Now I know that is to be expected but I wasn't fishing the right method it seems. But this time I'm going to do more research before hand. Now it's been a couple years and I know the crowd can be thick there, I'm hoping that going on a weekday evening it won't be as bad. This is one of the better fishing spots(from what I've heard) that's not an hour and a half or more away from me. So hoping to at least gain enough knowledge to make it manageable lol

Trout fishing is right up the street from you (Gunpowder)...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always had a assortment of weight between 2 and 4 ounces. All depended on water flow. More flow id go up to 4 no flow 2 oz. Keep your line moving as soon as it hits the water. I there is a release aim directly in to the turbulent water. If no release you need to scout a bit. I generally would make long casts towards the flow.

·
Registered
978 Posts
https://youtu.be/paeDJskqmmI

Check out this video. This guy has personally helped me out quite a bit. I've caught nice stripers there and my biggest and only flathead weighing in at 29lbs. Hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer any questions and try to help the best I can.
Video is right on the money. Dude's name is Don Goff I believe. He posts all the time on the DNR website.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes light tackler I was afraid it was gonna come off. Caught him on an 1/8oz jig head, 2 oz in line weight and a 6 inch white curly rail grub. Couple that size were caught that day. Sure did taste great too! I'm not catfish fan but flathead are delicious.

Cali yea that's him. He doesn't fish from shore too much anymore. He's really gotten in to kayak fishing to avoid the crowds.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Those flatheads hunt like a gamefish ... try 1-1.5oz lead jigheads with big white twisters ... reel them in almost as fast as fishing for bluefish! I tried this method expecting striper but only caught cats ... very tasty though! I'll be down in a couple weeks to give it a try.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The dam can become combat fishing at times, elbow to elbow, and tempers can flare. As long as you follow the etiquette namely casting in rotation then you are fine. Tangles may happen and snags will happen. If you go the bait route please be mindful of the "counter" current caused by the shoreline eddy. I have seen many anglers fishing bottom rigs down by the observation area or mid way down while there terminal tackle drifts up to the face of the dam and directly in front of the Conga Line. This will get some of the locals blood boiling.

If you are throwing artificial then bear in mind the typical bait profile is on the smaller side. This is why the inline is used to provide the necessary weight to cast a small jig head w/ a curly tail grub, fly/teaser, or even a dressed treble or treble with a skirt in front of it. A teaser on a dropper loop can be used but the advantage of the inline is that if you hook is snagged you can break the leader and retrieve your weight. I use 20-30lb mainline (the casting difference between the 2 in minimal depending on the lines you are choosing) tied to an inline with 12-18" leader. Depending on the gates that are open I may shorten the length to eek out a few extra yards on the cast. I use 20lb mono for my leader and see no reason to go flouro with this presentation. You want your leader to break at a lower lb test then your mainline (depeding on the knot you use you wont have to over think this part - ie a palomar is not a 100% not).

I do not see 15' rods but see plenty in the 10-13' range. I fish a 10'6" and an 11' most of the time but have a 12' on the truck if needed. Given the close quarters you will be "axe chop" casting so a comfortable rod length is important. Choose your inline sinker based on the water flow and distance to the gates. If only gate 5 is open for instance I may not need 2-2.5oz sinker to drift at the appropriate speed but I do need that weight to get my jighead/fly out there so sometimes a sacrifice is made. The "current" usually calls for 2-3oz. I throw 2.5 most often but I would ask what others are throwing that day (like asking someone on the beach what's holding).

Last piece of advice is call the station to see what the generation schedule is for the day and throw to the whitewater - at least to start.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The dam can become combat fishing at times, elbow to elbow, and tempers can flare. As long as you follow the etiquette namely casting in rotation then you are fine. Tangles may happen and snags will happen. If you go the bait route please be mindful of the "counter" current caused by the shoreline eddy. I have seen many anglers fishing bottom rigs down by the observation area or mid way down while there terminal tackle drifts up to the face of the dam and directly in front of the Conga Line. This will get some of the locals blood boiling.

If you are throwing artificial then bear in mind the typical bait profile is on the smaller side. This is why the inline is used to provide the necessary weight to cast a small jig head w/ a curly tail grub, fly/teaser, or even a dressed treble or treble with a skirt in front of it. A teaser on a dropper loop can be used but the advantage of the inline is that if you hook is snagged you can break the leader and retrieve your weight. I use 20-30lb mainline (the casting difference between the 2 in minimal depending on the lines you are choosing) tied to an inline with 12-18" leader. Depending on the gates that are open I may shorten the length to eek out a few extra yards on the cast. I use 20lb mono for my leader and see no reason to go flouro with this presentation. You want your leader to break at a lower lb test then your mainline (depeding on the knot you use you wont have to over think this part - ie a palomar is not a 100% not).

I do not see 15' rods but see plenty in the 10-13' range. I fish a 10'6" and an 11' most of the time but have a 12' on the truck if needed. Given the close quarters you will be "axe chop" casting so a comfortable rod length is important. Choose your inline sinker based on the water flow and distance to the gates. If only gate 5 is open for instance I may not need 2-2.5oz sinker to drift at the appropriate speed but I do need that weight to get my jighead/fly out there so sometimes a sacrifice is made. The "current" usually calls for 2-3oz. I throw 2.5 most often but I would ask what others are throwing that day (like asking someone on the beach what's holding).

Last piece of advice is call the station to see what the generation schedule is for the day and throw to the whitewater - at least to start.
WOW! Well said....to the "T". Exactomundo!

One thing you left out. You'll be wading in about 3' of water and the rocks are slippery. A good pair of water shoes are a must in the the summer, waders when the water gets cold. Felt bottoms are preferred but illegal now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
WOW! Well said....to the "T". Exactomundo!

One thing you left out. You'll be wading in about 3' of water and the rocks are slippery. A good pair of water shoes are a must in the the summer, waders when the water gets cold. Felt bottoms are preferred but illegal now.
Aw c'mon now that how we initiate the new guys. Excellent point and sorry I missed touching upon it. Water shoes or breathable waders; while Felt may be illegal you can certainly wear Korkers or screw a few Stainless Steel hex head screws into your heavily used and on the verge of being discarded work boots. There are a couple of submerged rocks up toward the front of where the line will start that are sure to put you on your ass if you are not paying attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts