Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've never fished in my life and would like to give it a try. I've been doing some reading here for about a week or so but I still struggle with the terminology so I am not able to pickup as much as I would like. For my first fishing experience I want to hit up lake Centennial in Columbia. I don't have any gear (tackle?), so I would like to purchase a very basic inexpensive starter rod/reel combo and whatever else I need (hooks, bait, etc..?) that would work well for local lakes around the Baltimore region. Also I would love to hear what other sorts of equipment you guys usually bring with. I take it I need a cooler with ice to put the bait in as well as drop any fish I might have caught in there? What are the best times of day to fish at lakes? Please help this clueless noob get started :)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I take it that you

live in Columbia.

I live a few miles from Centenial lake. You can fish that lake with a $30 spinning combo from Dicks. Shoot me a pm when you are ready to go, and I'll try to hook you up with as much info as I can. I won't make any promises but you might be able to head out to SPSP with me next time I head out. You can use one of my "loaner set ups" for the surf. I'll make sure you get hooked:beer::D:D:D:fishing::fishing:

·
Registered
241 Posts
i fish cenntenial lake every weekend.to just catch fish i would get a small #20 fly and fish it about 5 foot for the shore for sunfish. they are all over the lake. if you want to try and catch a bass try live linning on of these sunnies. another good place to fish would be loch raven reservoir in blatimore county. all you would need are shad darts and nightcrawlers and you could catch perch, crappie and shad around dullany valley roda bridge. you can rent a boat for 25 dollars a day

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
yes

anyone ever rent a boat at spsp and fish? is it even allowed
I'll never rent there again if I can help it:mad::mad: You can rent boats by the hour or all day.
Folks go out and catch perch and the occasional rockfish at the bridge pilings

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The motor kept shutting off. I was crabbing at the time. They exchanged my boat for me. The "new boat" proceeded to break down on the way in. I arrived late to the dock and even though I'm sure they could see me rowing, they kept my deposit

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i fish cenntenial lake every weekend.to just catch fish i would get a small #20 fly and fish it about 5 foot for the shore for sunfish. they are all over the lake. if you want to try and catch a bass try live linning on of these sunnies. another good place to fish would be loch raven reservoir in blatimore county. all you would need are shad darts and nightcrawlers and you could catch perch, crappie and shad around dullany valley roda bridge. you can rent a boat for 25 dollars a day
What exactly is a #20 fly? What is linning sunnies? I have too much to learn, I don't know where to start. Can someone give the down low on live bait vs. lures? I have no idea when to use what. I appreciate everyone's feedback :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
better to stick with bait as a beginner. you just cant beat a piece of worm on a gold # 8 aberdeen hook for blue gills or sunfish. Aberdeen is a type of hook that looks just like a j. Its very simple hook with a strait shank. the shank is the strait part of the hook that ends with the eye which is what you tie the line to. go to the book store and get a book on fishing knots and learn how to tie a Palomar knot, its the easiest knot to tie.

tie it on by passing the line through the eye of the hook then passing it
back through making a loop through the eye make a overhand knot
with the doubled line and pull the hook through the loop. wet the line
at the hook and pull on the hook causing the loop to cinch up tight.​

use a clip on bobber (float) and a small splitshot above the hook.
put a piece of worm on the hook and cast it into the lake.

get a subscription to a fishing magazine like infisherman there are many good tutorials from time to time in that magizine.

tram

·
Registered
241 Posts
What exactly is a #20 fly? What is linning sunnies? I have too much to learn, I don't know where to start. Can someone give the down low on live bait vs. lures? I have no idea when to use what. I appreciate everyone's feedback :)
a #20 fly is a fly that has a #20 hook. live linning is when you would hook the fish in either the mouth or the back and cast it out useing it as bait

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.