Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Fort and Freeman beach this past Saturday and had narry a bite at either place. It was cold (48) but the skies were blue and wind was not too bad (10mph). Stayed at the Drifters Reef and they have nice clean rooms with updated AC and TV's with Wireless Internet Access. Stayed 2 nights for $50 a night on the weekend ($40 during the week) and they have stay 2 nights get the 3rd night free special going on.

Any way the main highlights of the day were had at the Fort where a big pod of Dolphins swam leisurely in front of us for about 30 mins just 20 yards off shore.

The other highlight was we saw tons of what I believe were Tuna jumping totally out of the water about 400 yards off shore. Not sure if they were Tuna, but they were shaped like Tuna and they were "BIG" as in 3-5 feet long min and shaped like a torpedo.

Any thoughts on what these were if not Tuna???

PS

Bought a nice 3lb whole fresh Red Snapper from Blackburn's fish market in Carolina Beach for $5.95 a lb. Gonna smoke that bad boy on Wednesday when my sons come home from college for the the T-day holiday.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If they were 3-5 feet then they were Bluefins. We saw one yesterday on the ride back in from offshore.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought exactly

Gotta admit,,, just to see that many doing what they do that close to shore, was worth the trip and getting skunked in the cold.

The Fort never fails me...if I dont catch fish,,,,I see wonders.

As a matter of fact, leaving the Fort around noon, we saw a Doe and her fawn frolicking along and among the old Fort redoubts as if they were not afraid of any human.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also fished the surf from Sea Ranch Motel to the rocks at the Riggins Sat, Sun, & Mon and caught zero fish. If u could find sand fleas, u could catch nice whittings, and black drum, but the fleas were few and far between. Like fireline, i stayed at Drifters Reef and got the two night 3rd night free special. Would recommend. Saw 8 to 12 in whittings caught off Kure Pier.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If they were 3-5 feet then they were Bluefins. We saw one yesterday on the ride back in from offshore.

hmm..400 yards away...bluefin+kayak= fun ...untill he tows ya where you cant see land..dunt quite know if its legal..think tehre a permit of somethin u need for em?dunno much bout offshore ..never been... but would be awesome hooka 5' tuna froma yak..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts