Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound crazy but is it possible?? i talked to friend yesterday who is a pretty trustworthy source who said some guys actually landed some small cobia in owl creek this weekend off the bottom with cut bait! is this possible?? i dont know much about the cobia so i figured i would go to the pros on this one.
thanks

buzz

·
Registered
159 Posts
I saw a HUGE one last year around the boat ramp.....It was swimming kinda funny (on its side), and was really skinny (i.e. fileted ;)
In all seriousness, I wouldn't doubt it. I have caught cigar sized baracuda and lookdowns in there. Grassy areas are indeed nursery grounds and need our protection,

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I caught a 13incher on squid strips at the hrbt. so I would say its possible, or a case of mistaken identity.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Don't know Owl Creek, but this was very common in Florida. You would frequently see 4-8 lb cobes around the docks and piers, that were a blast on light tackle. The real surprize was when my neighbor hooked into a 60 pounder in the canal we lived on fishing for Specks, that was only about 30 feet wide, and 6 foot deep.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Man that'd be a heck of a suprise to catch an 8lb Cobe on a spot rod! I think I'd have to change my shorts:D
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Could've been a remora. They turn up in Tidewater on occasion and look almost identical when they're little. ('cept for the sucker on top of their head)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts