Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an ambassaduer 6500 on a 6'6", fairly stout rod. I am iterested on getting on on this cobe fever that is going around and am wondering if that is good enough for piers or the surf. I am a former freshwater fisherman, and this was my muskie rod. But, from what I have read, these don't seem like you regular trophy fish. I have never been spooled by a muskie or large pike and if I get one of these monsters on, I don't want that to happen.

If you have a minute, let me know what you all are using for these fish, especially you SharkSlayer: that guy pulled out 200 yards, huh. What set-up were you using, rod, reel, # line, and if you know-how much line your reel has on it.

Thanks for your help everyone--Todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
bassn, some people use 6-7' rods I prefer to use "heavers". I use several setups but my favorite right now is a 11.5' Tica with a daiwa slosh 30 with 20# test an 50# shock. Th daiwa holds about 300+ yards of 20.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
yeah, what dog said.

if that 6500 is a C3, it's not gonna have the drag or the line capacity you need for a brown refridgerator.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys, but to tell you the truth, I don't know what model my 6500 ambas is. I have had it in storage for 5 years and am just getting it out next week. So, how can i tell which one it is? Or can't I. I don't remember when I bought it, them having anythng other than just the 5600 or 6500 model #. The only thing I am sure of is that it is a 6500.

thank you both for your input. I was also looking at terminal tackle today--hooks, weights, etc; what size and set-up should I use? Carolina rigs with BIG weight? weight at bottom with one hook out the side? Fish-finder rigs. I almost bought some size 7/0 circle hooks, but remembering that SS caught his 66#er on a big croaker head, the hook gap didn't seem big enough in the store. Should I go with 9/0 or even 10/0?

todd

·
Registered
255 Posts
i use a 6500 with a 7 ft penn rod and have had no problems with big cownose rays. i havnt hooked into a cobe yet not not sure there, but with rays and everything smaller it works great. i also use the same rod for shark fishing, though they dont seem to put up to much of a fight. only draw back i have is the most weight i can cast is 3oz + bait. i am going to get a 7000 here soon, that should work great for the big ones.

nick

·
Registered
270 Posts
Many people use a big Penn or one of the 8000,9000,10000 Abu Garcias. I use a Jigmaster myself. I have even seen people use things like Penn 4/0 and up. I you want to use the Abu 6500 I would advise going to hatteras outfitters and upgrading your drag with smothies (maybe 20 bucks and not to hard to put in yourself)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Skunked,

thanks for the reply. I went to Boaters world and picked up a Penn GT2 and got it wet on Sat at the Latimer shoals. No cobes but a lot of descent roundheads, big croakers adn 3 small sharks. Had a good time, but am stilll in search of my first cobe.

Thanks again to everyone who replied--todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts