Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My resolution for 2004 is to put together a coastal directory that is not just full of info but visually appealing. Both seem to be a task at hand. When I iron everything out it should be a nice collection of locations for the NC boater to look through before trips or during trips. If you guys want to drop some feedback I would appreciate it. Listings are free too so if you have a business email me and I will include it so people can find you easier.

NC Coastal Guide

·
Registered
337 Posts
That sounds like a great idea, but could you make a section for each state outlining piers and beaches too?

todd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the feedback Todd. I have already started thinking of other sections and I like your ideas more than almost all of mine so that sounds like the next upgrade. I will most likely do fishing locations in general. Thank you again bassn

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nice and simple graphics - loads fast.
One critique - On the forum, change the green font color on the carolina blue background. Very hard to see the words.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will change that as soon as I return from NY. I havent given that forum any love or attention yet. I will as soon as the coastal guide is a little more filled in. Thanks chest

I have been thinking of a graphic for the fishing section. I have been thinking about a graphic fish and a fishing pole. I will do a little more research about what sort of fish i should illustrate. I grew up fishing on a small lake in new york so we werent fortunate enough to catch the types that the NC crowd is fortunate enough to catch. I dont want to illustrate a smallmouth bass if that isnt the fish of choice for pier fisherman and surf fishing. When I finish the graphic Ill post it up here and everyone on this forum can say yay or nay.

PS. Im taking a snow day and going to hang out on my friends boat. Everyone enjoy the snow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. A drummie is a good choice. It is some type of NC fish correct? I will do the graphic after ny. The fishing section could take me a minute to research and put up. I did just expand the cities in NC to be covered to almost 50. The marinas are updated for each city. Next to be updated will most likely be the restaurants. Most of the directories out there are lame. Not that this is the shiznit but I hope it will be more deliberate than most. Lets face it....living and playing by the water is our good fortune.

·
Registered
285 Posts
as far as fish I can think of 4 good ones to use right off the bat, Dum, Stripers, King Mackerel, and Cobia. I will have to say this, there's nothing more exciting then watching a king come 5-6 foot out of the water with your bait in it's mouth :D

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dang you guys have me jonesing some fishing. I never made it out to do any surf fishing so I have yet to partake in that. I used to be happy when I caught a keeper bass or walleye and you guys have fish that try to get airborn...sweeet. Next month should be an ice fishing trip to Oneida Lake in CNY. Ill be happy if I catch a perch and not a cold.

I am heading back to Carolina today. Thankfully.......Thermometer in the truck never made it above +9 and with windchill it was -10.

·
Registered
285 Posts
May's going to be the money when the kings showup, unless they're early ;) Last year i think the first ones were caught may 8th or close to there. I'll be on the piers king fishin may 11th-13th who knows when they'll show up but there will definately be a bunch of good sized blues and spanish come late april early may :)

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Tim,I assume you're doing your "plankin" for kings down south? What was the best pier down there and how many did they catch? Spoiled by the good ole days,we caught close to 500 the yr I quit and started livebaiting from a boat.. One advantage you folks down there have is the dmf ruling that there is to be no drop-netting south of Cape Lookout. Just wondering if Ole Timmers down there think that ruling is having any affect?

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I hear they are comin back down here in good numbers. As far as I know, Ocean Crest Pier got the most kings with 80 some. For some reason the fall run was pretty much non-exsistant with only a few fish caught. Most of them were caught during the spring with sometimes 8-10 fish decked a day. I've emailed the dmf a few times to try an get an answer as to why they let the king mackerel fishery above cape lookout goto sh!t but have yet to get an answer. I do all my plankin for kings on Ocean Crest off of Oak Island mostly during the week because the weekends are packed tight and usually all 50 some king spots are taken.

I haven't really talked to the old timmers about the ruleing so I haven't gotten their imput yet but from what i've heard it has had dramatic effects on the fish populations north of cape lookout.

I think it'd be worth getting some people together that use to fish the northern piers for kings and heading to the dmf office for a talk. Or even writing letters I think Randy Gregory is the one to contact at the dmf office regarding the stocks ect. [email protected]

The ncfisheries website has the southern king mackerel population as viable but don't list anything on the northern population. I'm guessing they've forgotten there use to be a northern population.

If anyone wants to head south to fish the piers I can take off pretty much any days I want, let me know and I'll meet ya down there :D

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i'll go along too, especially since i live only about 20-30 mins from sharkbite:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
yet again the shore anglers get screwed... Personally I think it's worth discussing with the dmf see if possably some middle ground can't be met so the shore anglers have a better chance of getting some kings.
I can talk to some people and see if anything can be done but it will be a hard long battle. I'd like to see within the next 4-5 years the king fishing be as good up north as it is down here. Think stronger limits on the amount of inshore kings comms can take would help? Maybe splitting the limits between north of cape lookout and south would help. I know it'd piss off a lot of southern anglers but why should the fishery be great in one area and all but non-exsistant in another. Split it between them then there isn't as many kings being taken from one given area which will allow more to come inshore and possably will increase the #'s of fish being caught off the piers for both areas. Anyone have a chart of the migratory patterns for king mackerel? I'll see all the info I can dig up on 'em and try to put something together.

I'm going to try and get ahold of Ron Smith or Jack Travelstead, both Mid-Atlantic Representatives for the king and spanish mackerel fisheries with the SAFMC. See if they could possably have any input.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
Finally got an email back from DMF.

"We did have a dip in our king mackerel landings for 2002. Over the long term, this does not alarm us right now. Everything that we look at as fishery managers for stock assessments looks good for king mackerel and landings for 2003 appear to be good. Our major concern right now is the reduction of some of our large fish. We don't have any real concrete numbers on this right now because they are rare fish anyway. But we are watching the stock assessments very closely in regards to the reduction of these large fish. Matter of fact, I will be participating in a new king mackerel stock assessment in Feb. and this will be a major topic. I collect aging samples at tournaments and those folks are very concerned."

Will post more info as I receive it from DMF.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
DMF says from the numbers they have received only 7% of the king mackerel caught in the past 4 years has came from drop netting, the remaining % comes from hook and line commercial fisheries. They state the reason in the decline of fish caught off the piers is the amount of people targeting them now as recreational anglers.

This is the quote from the email I received, "As far as the pier fishing, I grew up on the end of a pier. I seriously doubt that any pier in NC has ever caught 500 king mackerel in a year. I'm not disregarding what these folks are saying because I know fewer king mackerel are caught off of piers these days. That may be more a function of the number of people pier king fishing as anything else." Randy Gregory.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
THAT IS BEYOND
_ IGNORANT OF THE FACTS!!!

I stand by that!! YES YES YES WE DID CATCH OVER 400 PLUS KINGS ON FRISCO!! YES YES YES I HEARD EVEN MORE WERE CAUGHT OFF TOPSAIL!!!! This guy needs to be educated,can I have his job?? 60plus K a yr and he is so "nieve" as to believe what I just saw you post??????????
I'm sorry folks,I'm very angry at the moment,let me get my composure back............... :rolleyes:
THERE ARE FACTS AND FIGURES FROM THE LATE 70's that back up what I am saying.. The king mack (inshore from dropnetting harvest)was way above any figures before or since.. BW has those figures,and I WILL POST THEM! :mad:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I asked him how old he was and what time frame he "grew up on the end of a pier" but never got an answer to that question :rolleyes:

Wonder how long he's been working for the NC DMF :p

DD we should get together this spring for some king fishin, so I can hear some of your "oldsalt" stories from when the fishin was great :D

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts