Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Closeing the Lynnhaven Inlet

Dear recreational fisherman,

In February of this year, the Virginia Beach City Council adopted a new ordinance regarding fishing in the Lynnhaven basin. The new law defines the turning basin area and specifically prohibits fishing and/or anchoring anywhere, anytime in the defined area.
In addition, the Virginia Beach Marine Patrol has decided to fully enforce an existing ordinance that prohibits fishing in marked channels. As a result of the new law and stepped up enforcement of existing laws, the police have been warning anglers that no fishing is allowed in the basin or in THE ENTIRE LONG CREEK CHANNEL from the basin to broad bay.
The police and the City Attorney’s office are well intentioned and trying to make boating in these areas safe but, as you can imagine, anglers are upset at being booted from historical recreational fishing areas. With the fall run of citation spot due in this area in 6 to 8 weeks, more and more anglers will be affected. At a Bay Island civic league meeting recently, this subject was discussed. I offered to set up a more inclusive forum for the recreational fishing community to hear first hand from the Marine Police exactly what the laws are and how they intend to enforce them, as well as give anglers a chance to let the city know how they feel about the changes. Jim Woods the Lynnhaven borough councilman has agreed to attend, the city attorney agreed to send someone as did the Marine Police. Another City councilman, Peter Schmidt has agreed to attend schedule permitting. The meeting will be upstairs in the Yacht Club at Marina Shores on Tuesday evening July 15 at 7 PM. It should last until about 9 PM. It is open to the public and hopefully all the area angling clubs will be represented.
Remember, the primary purpose of this meeting is to hear from the police exactly what the new law means and how they will be interpreting and enforcing the laws. Please don’t give the police a hard time. They are concerned with public safety and giving up their time off to be there to explain things to us. The second purpose of the meeting is to let city officials know how you feel about the new law and new enforcement of old laws. It is my hope that out of this calm and civil meeting, there will eventually be some form of relief from the new restrictions even if it is partial. Somewhere between fishing where ever and when ever we want and never fishing in these areas at all should be a compromise that will protect the channels during the busy times yet allow us to fish when it isn't so crowded. We would also like assurance that the city will not adopt similar restrictions in the future without input from the recreational fishing community.
We look forward to your attendance and participation.
Sincerely,

Richard Welton
Executive Director
Coastal Conservation Aassociation Virginia

COASTAL CONSERVATION ASSOCIATION VIRGINIA
2100 Marina Shores Drive, Suite 108,Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 481-1226, Fax (757) 481-6910, e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for putting up this post Dyhard.

My mother lives on Bay Island and attended the civic meeting and told me about this. I understand that they will try to map the restricted area out for all to see on paper for a little better understanding where the restictions are.

Thanks again for putting this up. Mark your calanders boys and girls.

See ya there
FISH ON

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe it only applies to the boaters now, but, after they stick it to them, they'll stick it to us.

We somtimes get angry at the boater that cuts our lines, especially with so much water out ther and so little fishable shoreline here, still, we need to close ranks as anglers to protect our interests. Dosen't much matter whether you fish from boat or shore, we've got to protect our ability to fish.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken

this is th same area that has gotten all th "bad press" in regards to shore vs boat fishermen. If we rally togther an get them to let th boats fish there an th stupidity arises again, who do you think they will stop from fishing that area? Yep th shorebound ones. An I don't think th boaters would be willing to "join" us.

JMHO.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You may be right Cdog.

Still, there are a number of idiots within our ranks who will toss lead at a boat in the channel. The boats have every right in the world to transit the channel. As shorebound anglers we've got to be aware of the boaters and how they have to maneuver. I'm fully aware of the discourteous boaters that come within yards of a pier or the shore, not in a marked channel, and cause all kinds of havoc for us. We've just got to keep our cool in those situations.

Hell, I've seen it numerous times, some boater trolling along within 50 feet of a pier of shore, dragging along the lines of everyone fishing from shore.

Ignorance can be corrected, there's no fix for stupidity.

I still think we can work together to protect the fishing for boaters and the shorebound.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Good point Topsnipe

th more I thought about my post th more I realized that having a "us vs them" attitude is too negative. With available fishing spots disappearing left an right "we" as rec fishers need to try an keep what we have. And I totally agree about th stupidity on both sides of th fence,boaters an shore anglers. :mad:

·
Registered
323 Posts
This info really only involves boaters and thats why I didn't post it here as on the other board. Thinking back that was probably a mistake as we're all fishermen and need to help each other out. Please come to the meeting if you can and let the officals know how stupid this whole matter is. If it comes down to the shore fishing being shut out in the future I can assure you that this boat fisherman will be there to say no, right alongside you guys.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My greatest fear is that "They" will make ordinaces that will allow unreasonable and illogical enforcement possible. When some unelected knuckle dragging beurocrat can wield that kind of power we are all in trouble.
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Guess I'll make some enemies now...

I think that putting a ramp into Crab Creek is hands-down the worst decision the city ever made.

It has kept the boaters from being able to fish areas they were used to, and it has caused the shorebound crew to lose major fishing areas as well.

The pumping of the inlet has totally changed the bars outside the inlet that I have waded since I was a kid.

The once free parking lot now charges four bucks just for the privilege of parking.

The channel out of Crab Creek is now so deep that you can't wade onto the islands on the backside of the inlet.

There was Bubba's, there were public ramps like the Narrows, there were other places to launch. Bad, bad, bad idea from the very beginning. And now we are all paying for a stupid decision.

I wish they'd dynamite the damn thing and let the dunes take it all over like it used to be, but I suppose that "progress" marches on and we must find a way to deal. In the end, the slight convenience of another launch ramp will ruin the place for us all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
And, what does it take to really get influence with the people who are supposed to have our intrests in mind? Just money? Or do the boat guys just have less BO than we do?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Do you think there's any way the boaters <I>and</I> the shorebound folks would be willing to pull a boycott? Maybe we could work out a joint deal that would send a financial message to the city of Va. Beach, which is the only thing they will understand.

Anybody out there willing to become an advocate of us pier and surf folks in the Va. CCA?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There might be another way to look at it. It's possible that more and more people want to fish and be on the water. Can you blame them for discovering the pleasures that we've known for so long? It's possible that we may need large numbers of water loving people to keep access open. There are pressures to close down the the Outer Banks to vehicular traffic and unless there are many voices heard it will happen, just as sandbridge was closed in 1974. Of all the proposals that were studied, Crab Creek was the most affordable of the sites. If you'd like to see all of the area to the south and southwest made into a preserved fishing area please contact V.B. city council or tourism director. It's just a matter of how much Mr. MCluskey will accept for this area and how high the city is willing to go. It's under consideration now.
Listen to Capt. Reese 850 am radio Saturday mornings 6am to 8am there will be plenty talk there.
Thanking you in advance for your help

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An interesting piece of history about the channel leading out of Lynnhaven. Sand moves from West to East in this area and the rushing water tries to wash through the forming bars. The channel once migrated so far east that it was almost to the pier. The dredging before last took the channel West of the old weck however the last time it was dredged they decided to go East of it. It's out about the second red marker. On a clear water day and your poleroid glasses you can see from the top of the bridge just how much the channel has moved east in reference to the markers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Want to bump this to the top......

The Crab Creek Ramp and facilities doesn’t seem to be the problem. IMHO the CC entrance channel AND the irresponsible anglers combined (both shore and boat) brought this to the Cities attention. The channel could have been routed straight out (or East) from that daymarker furthest south. That would have shortened the channel, allowed access to deep water and eliminated the channel that parallels the shoreline where all the trouble comes from. Don’t forget how this started…… A sand flea and a boater and a ruckus at the ramp. I think we all heard that story, if I have it wrong please correct me.

The City took it upon themselves to fix the problem and did it on the sly as far as I’m concerned. I didn’t hear of any meetings or any statements from the City personnel about this issue until it was passed. It is scary Dyhard, that some beurocrat(s) invoke that power. What’s next, no shore fishing around the same “Turn basin area”? It wouldn’t surprise me at this point!

There has to be a gathering of the folks that use this area and the fishery to make a statement! That’s what we do……. SHOW OUR FACES AND SPEAK UP! All the points that the USERS of this area have are important, and it will make a difference if there is a large showing at this meeting.

Show up ……. and FISH ON
:cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have fished under the lesner bridge a couple of times and driven over it many. Which channel and which turning basin are we talking about. I haven't fished there enough to know whats where. But I still would like the city to not close it down.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
hic-lock, the problem is that the natural channel outside Crab Creek runs right next to the shore. Just outside that is a very shallow flat that would constantly sand in if they tried to dredge it. Unfortunately, the channel they picked is about the only option they had.

I would encourage all of you to show up at this meeting, though. Make your opinions known. Even though we sometimes get in scraps with the boaters, this is a time for solidarity. I'd be there if I wasn't 250 miles away.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts