Pier and Surf Forum banner

Closeing the Lynnhaven Inlet

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  fishnkid 
#1 ·
Well I guess everyone has heard, they (the police) have closed off most of the fishing in Lynnhaven Inlet. The CCA site probably has some info. To hear more come to the meeting July 15 Marina Shores! FIGHT this NOW!

#4 ·
I'm already postal!:mad: This has been forthcoming for some time now, its a shame that some people dont have common sense enough to get along out there. Keep us updated, I'm not able to travel down to the area to keep up with the meetings so I will definetely be looking here.
Tight lines and popped riggers

#5 ·
This seems to be a recurring trend all over the place. Most of the time, fishermen seem to be the easy target since we have little or no lobby or political clout. We, being shore-bound and without the funds to lobby or buy fancy boats to go out on the sea, are looked upon as nothing by the people who make the regulations. Now if they were to close the area to boat traffic, imagine all the rich lawyers who would flip out and raise hell. Therefore, we too must raise hell. Just because we may not have alot of money doesn't mean we can't raise a whole lot of Cain!:mad:

#6 ·
So far this rule applies to fishing from boats in the turning basin and all marked channels. This kind of incrementalism is a danger to citizens everywhere. It's no wonder that the 2nd ammendment is so important. It is my belief that this is the work of an officer named Williamston. He stood in front of a civic meeting and passively acepted credit for pushing these rules through. Rumor has it that he has been quilty of blatant harrasment. Richard Welton with the CCA probably knows the most about it. My advice to all fishermen would be to band together and join an organization such as the CCA or be run over at every turn.
Good Luck

#7 · (Edited)
Thats too bad,

For two weeks I've been asking for help with my fight at NBP. From a fishing board with 2,043 members I got just over 20 petitions Good place to vent but not much support... Have a good 4th of July & Goodluck

Boycott North Beach Maryland

Not to late to help, sounds like you'll need it soon. Jump On The Bandwagon!

Below is a statment to boycott North Beach Md. if they close the pier. Please copy and paste this statment into your e-mail program. Add your name, address, phone number and e-mail address to the list and send it to Mayor Mark R. Frazer at mfrazer@ci.north-beach.md.us or print it out and snail mail it. Send a carbon copy to me at clyde.blake@verizon.net In the next day or so I will do a (BOYCOTT NORTH BEACH) webpage and I would like to add your names to a list on the page.

When the page is completed I will send the URL to Mayor Frazer and submit it to all search engines. I've used this tactic before and it works well, there is power in numbers.

Thanks in advance for your help, we really need it...Clyde Blake (AKA) Hat80

Boycott North Beach Maryland

Mayor
Mark R. Frazer
Phone: (410) 535-2011 or (301) 855-6681
Fax: (410) 535-6344
Town Hall: P.O. Box 400 Chesapeake Beach, Maryland 20732
E-mail: mfrazer@ci.north-beach.md.us

Dear Mr. Mayor,

We the following will boycott the public pier, beach and all business in North Beach Maryland if and when the town of North Beach starts closing the public pier from 11:00 pm to 6:00 am, or any other hours. We will tell all our fishing friends and their families to do the same.

Furthermore we who possess a season pass want all paid monies refunded because the passes were bought before the public pier closing issue was brought up.

The town of North Beach Maryland is breaking the contract entered here into. The public beach and pier passes were bought with the knowledge that the entitled have the right to fish or use the beach 24/7 during the year.

It’s no secret the town of North Beach is more than 2.5 million dollars in the red. This boycott will have serious impact on the economic situation of the merchants and business in your town.

We would ask that you postpone the July 1st closing of the pier and look at an alternate solution. Closing the pier to night time fishing is not the answer to your problems...Thank You

Clyde D. Blake III
1011 S. Edison St.
Arlington, Virginia
22204-3220
Phone: (703) 671-0622
E-mail: clyde.blake@verizon.net

#9 ·
In February of this year, the Virginia Beach City Council adopted a new ordinance regarding fishing in the Lynnhaven basin. The new law defines the turning basin area and specifically prohibits fishing and/or anchoring anywhere, anytime in the defined area.
In addition, the Virginia Beach Marine Patrol has decided to fully enforce an existing ordinance that prohibits fishing in marked channels. As a result of the new law and stepped up enforcement of existing laws, the police have been warning anglers that no fishing is allowed in the basin or in THE ENTIRE LONG CREEK CHANNEL from the basin to broad bay.
The police and the City Attorney’s office are well intentioned and trying to make boating in these areas safe but, as you can imagine, anglers are upset at being booted from historical recreational fishing areas. With the fall run of citation spot due in this area in 6 to 8 weeks, more and more anglers will be affected. At a Bay Island civic league meeting recently, this subject was discussed. I offered to set up a more inclusive forum for the recreational fishing community to hear first hand from the Marine Police exactly what the laws are and how they intend to enforce them, as well as give anglers a chance to let the city know how they feel about the changes. Jim Woods the Lynnhaven borough councilman has agreed to attend, the city attorney agreed to send someone as did the Marine Police. Another City councilman, Peter Schmidt has agreed to attend schedule permitting. The meeting will be upstairs in the Yacht Club at Marina Shores on Tuesday evening July 15 at 7 PM. It should last until about 9 PM. It is open to the public and hopefully all the area angling clubs will be represented.
Remember, the primary purpose of this meeting is to hear from the police exactly what the new law means and how they will be interpreting and enforcing the laws. Please don’t give the police a hard time. They are concerned with public safety and giving up their time off to be there to explain things to us. The second purpose of the meeting is to let city officials know how you feel about the new law and new enforcement of old laws. It is my hope that out of this calm and civil meeting, there will eventually be some form of relief from the new restrictions even if it is partial. Somewhere between fishing where ever and when ever we want and never fishing in these areas at all should be a compromise that will protect the channels during the busy times yet allow us to fish when it isn't so crowded. We would also like assurance that the city will not adopt similar restrictions in the future without input from the recreational fishing community.
We look forward to your attendance and participation.
Sincerely,

Richard Welton
Executive Director
Coastal Conservation Aassociation Virginia

COASTAL CONSERVATION ASSOCIATION VIRGINIA
2100 Marina Shores Drive, Suite 108,Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 481-1226, Fax (757) 481-6910, e-mail ccavast@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.