Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
caught a flounder this weekend nut don't know how to clean it please help with suggestions on cleaning and cooking

·
Registered
166 Posts
how big ? for a 2lb fish this is my 2 cents....
If you are not fimiliar with fileting it I would scale it and remove head and just above pectorial fin,then season with salt peper and lemon.Lay on aluminum foil and grill over medium coals, Grill on first side for 5 minutes,
turn very carefully and grill for an additional 3 minutes. Baste with lemon juice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flounder was 22" plan on baking or frying or stuffing how do u scale it or is it skin it lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
Flounder are about the easiest fish to fillet. Their bones structure makes it very easy. I actually just finished up cutting one.

I make a diagonal cut behind the head angling slightly towards the bottom of the fish just down to the bone. Next insert the tip of the knife along the top of the spine above the ribs so the blade lies flat against the bones that go into the fins. The knife should be slid in just past the end of the rib cage. Rotate the blade toward the rear of the fish keeping the tip stationary. Once the blade is perpendicular to the spine, poke the tip through the fish. Keep the blade parallel to the spine and slice in long strokes towards the tail. Then all you have to do is carefully slice the meat away from the rib cage skin it. Flip over and repeat. The dark side is easier to fillet because it is meatier. You will notice that each fillet is split lengthwise by the latteral line. I usually cut along the line and make two long strip out of each fillet. If you try to leave it as one piece it splits in half most of the time anyway.

I know this is not the best description. It is difficult to explain but very easy to do. You can cut and skin one in about a minute with a little practice... Don't be scared to try. You might screw up the first one or two, but it is a small sacrifice for boneless skinless fillets for the rest of your life once you learn. They only way to learn is to do it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you plan on stuffing it the best way is to keep both sides of the spine in tact to do this i make the cut behind the head but i start from the tail make a cut at the tail and run the knife right along the spine then with good pressure cut towards the edge of the fish dont try to take to much of the fish until your more experianced after you get one side off up to the head flip the fillet over the other side and follow the skeleton to the other edge flip it over skin it pack it with crab flip the one side over the other 3-4 tooth picks broil and BAM ps dukes way works better for the white sides or if your not stuffing it ZOOM

·
Registered
565 Posts
Neuman is right about stuffing. Best to leave fillet intact. Lay one fillet on the bottom of the pan pile on the stuffing then put the second fillet on top. Most people slice along the the latteral line on the top fillet and make a slit for the stuffing to puff out of.

If your fillets to come apart along the spine don't worry(this is pretty likely the first few times you do it, intentional or not). Take each of the fillets and spread a layer of stuffing on roll it up into a pinwheel and stick a toothpick through to hold it. I pour over a mixture of melted butter and reduced heavy whipping cream before baking. A little paprika and parsley is great for color.

If you do a search on line you will find lots of great recipes for stuffed flounder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank's guy's you have been very helpful think i'll fillet,and to all of you happy fishing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts