Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent a week surf fishing around Rodanthe. I caught a few spots, blues, puffers, and croakers. Great vacation. I saw others catch a few trout. One guy pulled out 5 skates in a row.

I wanted to tell you about Clarence. Someone told me that was his name. He and his fishing buddy were fishing just past Rodanthe, at the 27 mile post as I recall. They were 50 yards to my left. There were perhaps a dozen fishing groups on the beach.

As I was reeling in, Clarence's fishing buddy (an elderly man), rushed up to tell me that Clarence had collapsed. I looked over and Clarence wasn't moving. We both went over to Clarence. The best I could tell, Clarence wasn't breathing, but it's hard to be sure.

I began CPR. More people arrived to help. Someone called the paramedics. As we continued CPR, we couldn't really tell if we were helping Clarence. Soon the paramedics arrived. They connected a heart moniter, opened an airway, and started an IV. Clarence was taken to a local hospital.

The next morning, I went to the hospital to see if Clarence survived. I'm sorry to say that he didn't. You do what you can, but sometimes it's not enough. I'm sorry for Clarence's family and his fishing buddy. I'm sure they will feel the loss for some time.

But I figure that Clarence passed away doing what he likes to do best. I think that's something to think about. We all have those things we have to do earn a life.

But, don't put off that fishing trip. And take someone with you.

Fred.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ifin I go , I want to go like Clarence . Doing what I love to do.
Just roll me down the beach and throw me in the surf . And they can do to me what I have been doing to them for a long time .

God Bless Clarence

·
Registered
634 Posts
didnt know clarence but i'm sure he is grateful for your CPR efforts....CPR is something everyone should know and be certified as....whos knows you might save your best friends life or someone might save yours.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yep'.....If its my time to go.....then going while fishing will be fine with me. Just hope while someone is giving me CPR another person will watch my rods in case I snap out of it I can reel in a biggun'.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'll watch your rods Fatback iffn I can keep 'em if you don't snap back.What kind are they??.....the R

·
Registered
239 Posts
A DAY WHEN YOU DROP DEAD FISHING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!

I respectfully joke, even though I know his family and friends must be in anguish. Out of all the ways to pass away, I cant think of many equals.

The guys at work might still be jealous.

Take care, Clarence.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Read this earlier an decided to go fishing. Never know when ya might get hit by th beer truck.

RIP Clarence.

·
Registered
823 Posts
rest in peace Clarence............ now thats the way i wanna go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts