Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) imwondering how many people actually go through the process to get the citation for a fish. i know some people who catch and dont really bother to get the citation for it.
2) how many citations do you have? me personally only have one citation and am looking for another to go on the wall beside it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got my first NC citation this year for a 5lb trout caught off the pier. Which reminds me, I have to get ahold of the pier manager because I havne't received it in the mail yet.

Hoping this year to get a citation for a king, and a release citation for a tarpon :)

That's just a few of my goals for this year.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I only have one myself for a tide runner trout I got quite a few years ago(16lbs. 32" and 19" girth) caught it off Medapeake pier and do for another soon,maybe this year.:D

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Was into it about 15-20 years ago...

All the ones I got were for freshwater, don't really think they had a big saltwater program going at the time.

Don't have a place on the net to up-load pics, but they were really nice then.

Got most citations for fish I like to eat. Most were for Yellow Perch, stopped getting them weighed after 15 citations (enough to get my Expert Angler Patch), then 5 citations for others to get my Master Angler Patch.

Since them, just mark trophy class fish in my log books.

"Never" killed/kept a fish just for a citation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have done the citation thing since it started here in N.C. I have found these things are a great way to keep up with your best fish . Frame em. laminate em, and they last forever.
As the citation program changes, I have found I have citations for fish that you can't get anymore, ie. false football....
They do take a while to recieve. If you catch a fish in Jan. it may be the next march before you recieve it.
If you do not recieve your citation, be sure you have your pink sheet. The folks in N.C. are wonderful about getting them to you. Usually a fax or a mailed in copy and they send them right out.
I have found that a lot of problems can be avoided by writing real dark on your form, and by(if possible)mailing them yourself.
Here in N.C. some species min. weight are too high(sheephead 10 lb.)and some too low.(Va. Mullet 1 1/2 lb.) Well maybe. Where i fish a good sandflea fisherman can load a cooler with 1 1/2 lb. Va. mullets in the fall.
How many? i fish with a few fellows who could paper their wall with them and i fish with fellows who only register their personal best. I register any good ones, but not every one I catch.(except speckled trout)
They do make wonderful memories,and create good competetion between buddies.
Any 1st of a species gets registered too. I do hope they keep the program in N.C. I would love for it to rise to the Virginia level with all that Master Angler stuff.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I got involved with the Citation Program in NC about 12 years ago. Thought it was such a good program that I printed the citation sheet for them for 10 years. The only reason I stopped was they took it to an inhouse computer deal.

As pier-legend says, they make good conversation starters.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I myself only have one aslo, it was from a 20lb bonnethead shark that as it turned out was only 2.3 lbs shy of the record.

-crabby

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Th only citation fish I have caught was a 8# spanish while we were King fishing. Got th pink copy but never recieved th paper from NC officials. Anyone know if I can resubmit? This was back in 98 I think.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
dad got one for whiting/virgina mullet

·
Registered
738 Posts
Turned in 3 Drum citaters in 2002 for NC, didnt realize that they dont put the length of the fish on the paper, so I dont fool with it anymore. It was one paper for all three fish, it said '3 Released', with the date of the last catch.

If I had turned in every citation fish I caught in fresh water, Id have my Expert patch for Largemouth Bass. Im one fish away from Expert in the Blue Cat category(52# personal best), and I need 2 more different species to have the Master patch.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i got a citation this sept. for a spot...i havent recieved my plaque yet...how long does it usually take?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I don't really mess with citations. I've caught a few the past few years but haven't went throught the process of getting one. Plus MD's system is garbage. It goes by inches and there is a citation given for any sized red drum. According to the regulations, I've caught citations for croaker, spot, perch, seabass, striped bass, and tautog. I feel that the sizes that are listed are too small for the fish to be considered trophies. The only "trophy" I've caught this year was a 9 3/4 lb tog. Besides, pics are good enough for me :D . If I ever get one that was truly a monster, then I may consider getting one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts