Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone exclusively use one over the other? I have found that circle hooks work on just about all saltwater fish but in freashwater on fish that require you to set the hook they are a poor choice. ( bass-catfish-speckled perch) I belive that these fish arent hit and runners so circles aren't as good?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I agree. I caught maybe a hundred fish last week around the Buxton area. Everything from pinfish to flounder. Everyone caught in the mouth. If you are releasing most fish circles are the way to go. Plus if you are spike fishing you can cut bait, eat a snack etc. and not have to watch your rod every second.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenmefish I love circles for sharks, they are very easy to release. Just wish the skates were as easy to get off.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I use Gamakatsu Octopus Circles 100%. I've caught 100's of fish on them and everyone was lip hooked on the right side of the mouth. I agree that they don't work as well in fresh water. I've used them fishing for cats and have lost more than my share.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I guthooked my first fish the other day with a circle hook. Don't know how it happened, but it was a 12/0 Mustad circle buried deep in the craw of a 35" shark. So, I put the shark out of it's misery, dug out the hook, and had shark steaks the next day. It's the only time it's ever happened, and although I know I miss a few fish due to the circle hooks, I'd rather lose them than catch them and end up killing them.

Freshwater, I haven't used them enough to tell. Fish that hit and run like bass, I haven't had luck with circle. However, they work well for fish that grab and swallow, like bream and trout. I think people using trout bait (i.e. Powerbait) should use circles to make for easy catch and release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts