Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Striped bass caught during the catch and release season stand a better chance of survival if you always use circle hooks instead of the regular "J" type hooks. The fish are hooked in the corner of the mouth and are not gut hooked. Gut hooked fish do not stand a good chance of survival once released.

Just remember to let the fish run and start reeling - no hookset is needed. ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I wonder if it would be safe to try live bait(other thean eels)on circle hooks during the Catch and Release season?I like the octopus/circle hooks better than the standard cicle hooks because of the gap in the hook( :rolleyes: :confused :).

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
They're good at hooking the fish;I just wondering about the use of livebait during the Catch and Release season :rolleyes: :confused: .The Octopus/Circle is the best type of circle hook.I didn't word my response too well :eek: .
If I used livebait on that type of hook it would still be alright?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Happy!

Octopus circle hooks are not considered true circle hooks based on the wide gap. On the Delaware River, which has mandatory use of circle hooks, the circle hooks cannot be offset. Both octopus and offset circle hooks can still hook fish deeply.

Two of the local guides on the Delaware did some test fishing for Daichi last year, and found that red circle hooks outcatch other colors significantly.

The circle hooks take some getting used to, but are just as effective at hooking fish as live bait (J) hooks, while significantly reducing the risk of hooking fish in the gut or the gills. Hell, if the circle hooks didn't work, the longliners wouldn't use them....

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings MJ!

I had heard that the Daichi red hooks are working well. Have you tried them yet?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Sandcrab!

We used the red hooks on the ill-fated Veteran's Day 2002 trip to the Cape May (NJ) Rips. Boat was packed shoulder-to-shoulder, the water temp was too high, and there were only five stripers caught. Not a fair test...

I intend to use them on the Delaware River this Spring, and the Choptank Pier this Fall. And Ed and I will be chunking in Delaware Bay this Fall, instead of dragging eels through the rips. Quite a few 50 pounders caught chunking during the last couple of years in the Fall by other fishermen -- just figuring its OUR turn now!

PENN is marketing red circle hooks made by Eagle Claw (calling them International Saltwater Hooks.) I use Eagle Claw bronze wide gap and Kahle with the lazer point for general fishing (bought in bulk 50 packages.) Don't know how the "Internationals" will be priced compared to Daichi, but I think sharpness is the key, especially if you're paying close to a buck a hook. When fishing for big stripers, I think I'll stick with the Daichis....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts