Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case we can't make it to PLO, will the fishing be as good at Choptank this weekend or is it better closer to the mouth of the Bay this time of year? With our luck we will either not be able to fish at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Choptank results on 11/7

I friend and I fished the Choptank bridge from 4:30pm on 11/7 to 5am in the morning. Catfish, catfish,and more catfish...seems like every single cast with bunker chunks resulted in a catfish. We must have caught 25-30 nice big cats that night. We also managed 9 Rocks as well with only one keeper at 19" on a live lined perch. I learned this live line stuff on here and it definitely works, just that you have to be patient when the fish bites. My friend lost what appears to be a 25" Rock when we tried to pull it on the bridge. It felt extremely heavy.

Fish between the bridges were very active that night. They were breaking everywhere but couldn't get a darn thing to bite. I tossed twister grubs, rattle traps, and storm lures until my arm was about to fall off with no luck.

The wind was very brutal and extremely cold. It was bone chilling! Aside from the weather, the cats kept our baitrunners singing all night long with an occassional Rock mixed in as a surprise.

I must ask the board something. I was using razor clams and caught absolutely nothing but yet the bait was gone after every cast. I don't think I cast the bait off but whatever is biting is biting extremely light. Does anyone have an idea of what's stealing my clams? It happened all night long. I must've has used 30 clams that night.

By the way, where are the big daddies at?

·
Registered
285 Posts
GreaseTea, Not sure about what was stealing your clams but next time your out there and see lots of fish breaking check by the lights, if there's stripers in there feeding usually you can see a silvery flash every now and then, I usual drop down a small gotcha plug about 3-4 under the surface and jig it up and down (Two - Three fast short jerks pause for 10-15 seconds) usually do this for 5-6 minutes before moving to another light, caught many 25-30" stripers like that when i lived up there. Usually after a few minutes they would hit it right after a pause. Have also caught trout, blues, and perch this way also.

Tight Lines,

Tim

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
This time of year

the fishing should be better in the mid to lower bay. The problem is, this year not much has been predictable. Flip a coin & goodluck. ;)....Tightlines

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's perch. I saw several times the local folks catch a lot of small perches with clam. To me, it seems that perch extreamly loves clam in this season. What they do is that they check every light pole first with bucktail tiped with 5 or 6" white grub. After they catch all of striper under a light pole, they toss clam hi-lo rig into same spot. Right after it sink, they reel back and chatch a perch. Sometime two in one action. I'm not sure what size hook they use but hook was small like as crappy hook.

About the lure for rock, usually after rain, the water is not so clear to see. I believe the more vibration is the better in that case. Next time, give two or three times fast jerking with rattlerap and then slowly crank it. It may work. I should check there soon.

Thanks for good report.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for all the fishing tip. I caught perch on bloodworms and they did in fact tug the rod but, for razor clams...I was robbed blind as soon as the bait hit the water.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You could always try salting the razor clams the night before. It makes them tougher and harder to steal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts