Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liam and I fished the tank..cambridge side..from 1 pm until 10 last night.Caught one dink rock..six perch and six spot..tried livelining spot and perch at the end of the night for striper no luck..one local was catching rock on fresh peelers at the end he caught his limit plus in a half hour and took off..liam did catch two monster crabs over 7"..I guess the fat ones really are back..they were heavy..saw a few trout and rock on the way off the pier..one guy was spraying his bait with W/D 40( not a good enviromental practice) There was hardly anyone on either side of the pier..was a great day..met a new member "Wing" ..was good talking to you..hope to seee you again soon! Tight Lines To All! Murphman:)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Glad you got to go out and have fun with your son. Too bad you didn't get any monsters.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think that WD-40 has fish oil in it. I have heard people spraying their lures with it to help attract fish. If you check the can, I believe that it says that it contains fish oil. I believe that peelers are the bait of choice this year for rockfish, My biggest fish in the bay was on peelers. The problem is the perch love them too. I don't think that livelining is going to work well this year. Last year at this time, you couldn't keep the rockfish off of them. This year is a different story. Doesn't seem like anyone is catching anything in the bay off live spot. Maybe when it gets colder. At least you and Liam had fun, isn't that what fishing is really about.
-Anthony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Just registered last week although I have been spot checking the site for nearly two years now ... it is very entertaining and informative and a great way to meet the best kind of folks on the planet ... fishing folks!

Nice meeting murphman and Liam Sunday evening ...he is a typical young fishing guy ...full of stories and questions. It was a beautiful night out there ... this was one of my few times trying the Cambridge side as I have fished the Easton side for over 15 years with lots of successful trips. It was interesting and the stripers seemed more active near the end and at nearly low tide. I managed to land a 19" striper that hammered a Rat-L-Trap around 11:30 pm. There were some nice stripers and trout being taken but you had to have "fresh" peeler or just caught cut spot. I was using frozen strips of spot and frozen peeler and it was "no go" all the way for that bait. Artificials had some success ... a few stripers and trout landed on spec rigs and small bucktails. In the 8 hours I was there, I saw about 12 rock taken all in the range from 18" to 26". Saw nearly the same amount of trout taken also ... they are in but not like other years.

Cats were active after midnite ... I landed and released 6 in about an hour ... then the wind picked up just as the tide was beginning to return and all the fishies got very closed mouthed.

Love the Easton side for number of poles/lights but will try Cambridge side again as weather chills. It is getting near the time when you may as well not waste $$$ on bait unless it is extremely fresh and even then, two-three weeks from now, it won't matter because the trout will be gone and the stripers will be actively seeking the only baitfish around which will be your artificials. Nov and early Dec are the most fun months for stripers at the Tank. It was nothing the past several years to catch and release 40-50 an evening and take your choice on the size you wanted to take for the table. :D :D

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Hi Wing and welcome to the forum. You won't find a better bunch of fisherman anywhere, we're like family. So you're a Tank guy. Many of us have been fishing the Tank for a long time and each has his or her favorite spot and tachniques. Aside from the spring crooker run, the good fishing has just begun. The ocean run stripers are just starting to move up the bay and as the water get colder it will only get better. Looking forward to meeting you and again welcome to the family.

Catman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Catman and thanks for the welcome. I look forward to meeting you some evening at the Tank. I should be making the trip down there at least twice a week for the next several. Let me know which nights you are thinking of going "Tankin". I also fish Matapeake, the Narrows, my friends pier in Shadyside, and make the occasional trip to OC to fish the jetties and bridges there. The Tank is by far my favorite spot ...for three reasons ... the fishing can be great, the setting is peaceful (except for having my vehicle windows smashed out once last year) and the 1 - 1/2 hr. drive is bearable on my aging body and vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts