Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liam and I fished the tank (Cambridge side) Saturday from 2pm -11:30pm...nice day...bought some fresh Spot from Sansones Seafood in Wilm before hitting the road..Caught one Rock 21"...another 13" ...lost two rock lifting up to the pier..fished 3 light posts from the end..just fished no more than 10-20 ft from the pier all day and night..also managed to catch 3 Cats that were in the 3 - 5 # class...used fish finder rigs..never needed more than 3 oz...catching was pretty slow for everyone we saw..I don't know if I ended up with the only keeper rock on the whole pier but it was literally that slow..some guy was quoted when leaving " The Choptank Is Dead"...I don't know if that is true...I think the water is really warm..all fish that I caught were really warm to touch..we did stop and throw some lures in the shallows on the way home ...there were a lot of swirls..no hook ups..Liam said he lost a blue ...wink wink...I ran into Bearded Clam gave him my leftover bait before leaving....We will return in a few weeks to hopefully better fishing.. but not going to complain too hard with the first keeper Rock of the fall! I will definately buy fresh Spot again..if anything it kept the lines active!:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I wouldn't say the tank is "Dead" but it is definitely slow for its standards. Hopefully the water will cool down and the fish will turn on. I am not going back till then.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FL,
I am new to the Tank this year but I agree with you, I think the water needs to get a little cooler..I plan on going again Nov 1-2 maybe the water will cool down by then.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do stripers still respond to spot as the water gets really cold? I mean the spot are rarer as forage for the bass as they move out. I guess fish aren't that smart eh?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Water Temperature?????

What is a ideally water temperature are we all waiting for????

I think the next time I go to the Tank am going to have a thermometer with me. And check the water temperature.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spot and Water temp

Fresh cut bait is fresh cut bait as far as I'm concerned..I know you should match the hatch..I like the spot because it is "cheap" and it stays on the hook pretty good..I have a hard time with the softer, bunker, herring, I have used mullet a couple times at the tank with no results..I am guessing but I would think temps between 60 - 56 would get the fish more active..if anyone has that magic temp let me know! I like your idea about the thermometer...Axon thanks for posting your previous post from last year..I found it very informative..all of my fish were caught on my 7' Ande Backwater Spinning Rod..no need for the 12' the other night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fished the Choptank from 3pm to 9pm at lightpole 44 with little luck. I caught two stripers within 5 minutes of each other around 5:00pm. One was very small, but the other was borderline regulation - right around 18". I only heard of one other fish being caught the entire day at the north end of the pier, with reports of similarly poor action towards the Cambridge side. The action was so slow that my larger fish brought a chorus of cheers from everyone around me on the pier. Unfortunately, I received an even more rousing chorus of boos when I tossed it back into the water.

I caught both Rockfish on slices of cut chicken breast. Neither bloodworms, cut alewives, nor an assortment of lures brought any other action all day long.

I pride myself on catch and release fishing, but from what I can tell, it's not something widely practiced on piers around the Bay, which is a shame. Why is that?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well I think it is even more exagerated right now because it is hard to come by a keeper now a days. A lot of people go out everytime to put dinner on the table around here and end up keeping everything they catch. Catch and Release is a good thing and I try to do it as much as I can but when you don't catch anything for a while and then catch a keeper it is hard to throw it back when you know it would look nice on the dinner plate.:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree I only keep as much as I eat personally, which is only maybe one to two meals a week. It really does burn me up when I see someone keeping every single thing that they bring in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fished at the 4th light pole from the end, on Cambridge side, next to Murphman.

I used Purdue Peelers for the first time, and real peelers........The only bites were crabs on the chicken....nothing on the peelers.

My girlfriend caught 2 cats using the cut spot Murphman gave me as he was leaving. She was happy she didn't sit out in the cold for absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the bait Murphman. Nice to meet you and your son.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I don't have a problem with people keeping a lot of fish. As long as it goes to good use and that they are legal. I usually keep a lot of fish when my freezer is empty as I eat it quite often. I also give fish to friends and family who don't get fresh fish often. I do have a problem with people keeping fish if they aren't going to eat it. I remember that Jake was telling me about spearing in NJ and he told me that a man speared a 6lb tog and offered it to Jake. He took it of course because he didn't want to see that fish go to waste so he took it but we were wondering why would anyone want to spear a fish if they didn't want to keep it. That kinda stuff pisses me off.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kept Rock

My 21" was the first rock that I kept this year..As a matter of fact I only recall keeping a few legal flounder this summer...sure would like to catch a keeper trout for the table..I am looking forward to a Rock Fish dinner tonight! I do agree that we should only keep what we are allowed to and enough to feed family or friends who appreciate fresh fish. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I too don't see a problem with people keeping their limit of fish. Many times people do fish for food and not just as a leisure sport. Just because you only see one person fishing doesn't mean they don't have a family and friends to feed at home. Keep what you see fit within the legal limits.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I fish to feed my growing family...

But I have a rule that says if I don't get a "nice" filet, I throw it back to grow up a bit. Now when the folks at my church inquire about my bounty from the sea, I make it my business to supply them some fresh fish. As for Rockfish, my wife doesn't like them!:jawdrop: She'd rather eat perch, spot or croaker.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ate everything you gave me last time reddog. The croakers were much better than the ones from soloman's. Anything beats ramen day after day for a starving college student. I tend to C&R more and more these days though. I just find it hard to believe people will keep the really old, large brooding stock cows. I mean they don't even taste that good. How in gods name do you eat a monster drum anyways? I would like to see more trophy stripers released so they can find their way to my line someday. Just thinking about fighting a monster like that has me up in the middle in a cold sweat

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the DNR sets the daily fishing limits to help protect the species as best they can. As for stripers, you're only allowed to keep 1 over 28" a day in the bay so hopefully the DNR set those limits in order to protect older fish to spawn following years. To some, small fish do taste better but that's just personal perference. A larger fish does mean you feed more if you have many to feed. It's good that many do practice C&R but you can't look down upon those who don't.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I didn't mean for my response to this thread to be taken that I look down on other fisherman. I agree with taking fish and eating it. I have also seen people take fish and then if they don't have enough to make it worth while to clean they simple throw the dead fish back to the bay. Mainly what I was also refering to is those who keep every single fish that the catch regardless of size, type or regulations since those I have seen never seem to have a way to measure fish and never ask for a measuring tape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts