Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night, 7:00PM-3:00AM, I fished at cambridge side choptank pier. (end of the bridge) From 9:00 PM striper start to break surface. And 3:00 AM they still break surface very aggressively.
My friend and I lost count around 1:00 AM (in that time, surely over 60). Lots of them are skinny, but strong and very aggresive.
We didn't need to move to other spots. We stay whole night at the very end of bridge and the water between new and old bridge were boiling.

This is the list of catching:

1. 1/4oz smallest red head chrom body Gotcha :
perches, 2-3 small striper. (the biggest perch was 12")
- I replace hook with Gamakatu trebles.
2. Lipless crank(vibration)
(1) 2.5" (original rattle trap-chrome) - over 20 striper. two
biggest ones on that. (21", 22")
- I add small black dots on it.
(2) Yo-zuri Magvibe (red orange) - 5+, stripers.
(3) Yo-zuri rattle'n vibe (perch pattern) - 5+, stripers.
3. Storm Wildeye shad
(1) 3" shad - 1 really small one.
(2) 4" red head - 20+, two second biggest guys.
(3) 5" shad - 3+, one really big one.(Line break - 20lb pro-line)
4. Top water plugs.
(1) Rapla saltwater skitter (red head white body) - 1
(2) Yo-zuri mag popper 4-1/8" (blue mack) -0
5. Bucktails with 5" wite grub - 0
6. others.(stick bait, minnows, deep crank, spoons, soft jerkbait, saltwater spinnerbait) - 3+

Most productive action of vibration lure was sequence of following.
(1) casting,
(2) let it sink for 6-10 second(most strikes),
(3) 1-3 foot fast jigging 2 or 3time(for strong and loud viblation)
(4) and slow cranking (not fast) with occasionaly pausing.

The most productive depth for wildeye was 1-3 ft from the top. Even bigger ones also played at the top of water.

Most of them are released. My friend and I keep two 20"s.
After midnight, we didn't keep any striper. It was really a great night.

Have good time there,

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Action

Lots of action gotta love it! Thanks for the report, hopefully it will keep on heating up..planning on visiting the tank again 11/08 and 11/9.:cool:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
1/2-5/8Gottcha Plugs,Small bucktails,and plastics are my choices.I might toss in a Rattle plug or two.They're breaking like that during the day but most were smaller sizes.These fish seem bigger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Stripers

Jaefish, I've been putting off fishing the Choptank all year waiting for the perfect time to start. Your report is very motivating and I hope to make a visit soon. I have two questions: (1) Were most of the fish concentrated in the shallow end? (2) Were there many people fishing? Did they have the same luck you did?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did fish at the end of pier in cambridge side and first 3 light poles area only hold that high density of fish. We checked other spot too, but we couldn't see that hot action.

Not many folks were there. Some local guys(bicycle guys) already start their fishing. Many of them only brought their bucktail and jig that was not productive in that night. Also, there were several bottom fishing fishermen, but I didn't see they catch fish. I think this is a good time for striper lure fishing excecpt the fact that stripers are still skinny.

Few years ago, there was not much blue and trout action in early fall. I saw a lot of bunker there, then striper action was really good untill mid december. In this year I think similar pattern will be going on. I'm sure you will have good fishing time there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts