Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is guys! I think we need to get together and have a choptank cleanup/grill out! I know we planned on rescheduling it till the fall run of stripers but I don't think it can wait that long. I agree choptank is getting pretty nasty as of late and I sure don't want to lose that as a fishing spot. I like catman and many others police my trash and usually pick up a few more on the way back. I know fishing isn't very productive there right now and many people are on vacation so I am wanting to see if we could get together in the middle of Aug. We could bring a bunch of trash bags out and clean up the pier on our way down to the end to fish and barbecue. I will provide all the gloves needed to clean up and also some food(once we figure out what to bring) And for us people that want to fish, hopefully the trout will be a running so we can eat good:D So lets hear it. Who is up for it? I mean if nobody wants to do I will do it myself! The DNR is right on the other side of the bridge (i believe) and we can contact them and let them know that P&S is sponsoring it. Catman? Trigger? Shaggy?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Out of town from August 9 through August 17, but let me know a date as soon as you can, and I'll make sure I''m off. Maybe a day night double header of fishin' and grillini (not to mention cleaning).;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm there as long as I have notice. I haven't been there this year and I'm looking forward to my first trip. My son and I will join you.;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
First time for everything

Hey Guys,

Im in. Ive never been to the "TANK" before so that would be a great time for my first trip. Let me know what the date is going to be and when a food list gets started just ask and I will bring whatever..........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now we need to set a date!

Ok so a few people are interested so we need to set a date to accomodate everyone. Shaggy already let me know when he would be unavailable. Catman I beleive you said near the end of the month you would be unavailable. What about you Mastercaster? I was thinking 2 Aug. That is actually earlier than I planned but I want to get max participation and we need to start as soon as we can b/c the trash isn't going anywhere and I don't want my favorite fishing spot to go either! What's everybody think?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know the DNR # for choptank?

By the way Catman do you know the # for the choptank office? Trigger? Where is trigger anyway? Thought he would have chimmed in by now. Anybody? Don't worry I will make the call and set up all the arrangements.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Go with the 2nd and let me know ASAP, and I'll do my best to get off all day, or at least by three in the afternoon. Still could give me that day nigght double header (though I miss the days of the old fashioned back to back one ticket buys you two).

Set a date, and I would be more than happy to drive from the job in Easton to the office and do the informing (unless I'm overstepping my bounds).

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the 2nd looks good!

I think we should nail it down on the 2nd then and run with it. Shaggy feel free to get in touch with them since you live so close. I only said I would call b/c i don't want to anyone to say that I never followed through with it. Keep us in touch on what we need to do. When you go there try to get me the # so I can call them too. Now what kind of food do we want to eat? I was thinnking we could grill out there and I am not sure what the rule is on fish but maybe we could fry up some croakers or better yet some trout. :D But I think it might be illegal to fillet and eat fish while fishing on pier so we have to wait and see. I have seen people do this there before though. Lets hear some ideas guys.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Here's my suggestion. Hight tide is at 7:32 AM which means the prime fishing time is 7:00 AM to noon. I like to do the clean-up early in the morning from 5:00 AM to 7:00 AM. before it gets too hot. Remember there's no shade anywhere and August can be brutal. Since there are no grills it would be a hassle to cart a grill(s) along. If it's a typical August day I'd be ready to leave by noon any way and skip the cook out.

I we are going to clean both sides I suggest we split it 2 to 1 meaning double the people on the Talbot side. That means we would need at least 6 people to get the clean up done in 2 hrs. (4 on the Talbot side and 2 on Cambridge side). We could all meet at the shack on the Talbot side.

Well, there's my suggestion.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Or, pain or not, we get enough people, start on one side (maybe the long side this time), see if we can get enough P&S people where they may close the Talbot side this time (for the P&S people), cart the grills or whatever (yeah trash bags, beverages and fishin gear), then come Sept or Oct do the Cambridge side (close it down for the day for P&S people who will help) and catch some stripers.

I'll talk to the people at the office and see what they will or won't accomimdate(?) doesn't look right. If they will, I can get signs printed at work "P&S clean up day".

Remeber NBP people, sign on and let's run with FL's ball. I want to go wide :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I will try to make it

but no way in hades I am getting there before 6 AM. 2.5 hr drive for me.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Okay, you can get there at 7am fish and then clean the dishes after we eat instead of the pier. Just kidding. an all day cleanup of pier and surrounding grounds some fishing some friends and some good grub. It may be hot, but when we were kids the "heat" never bothered us (hell, that's where most. or at least me, learned the basics of fishing.

It ain't all about fishing

·
Registered
164 Posts
August 2nd sounds like a weiner. Who says anything about cooking. Let's just go to Burger King and sit in AC while talking fish since we won't be fishing in the heat. Then we can part company with a full stomache. How's that grab everybody?:p

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah doesn't matter to me. I was just hoping we could grill up a few fish there and enjoy our catch on the spot. I don't think we should do both sides at one time. I like shaggy's idea on splitting them up. Also I was thinking why not try to do an overnighter or at least most of the night. If the tide is at 7 am then the other tide should be some where around 7 pm too correct? I mean we could all get out there around 3 or 4 clean up and stay as long as you please.:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Shaggy

Any information yet? Also Jack told me there is a dumpster nearby and I don't think many people know or even some people care and just drop their trash off at the end of the pier by the signs. Maybe your company would let you make a sign that says no trash dumping here please put in dumpster. I think that would help a little bit. Even I am guilty only b/c I was told that was how it was hauled away. I kind of thought it was shadey but everytime I go there I saw the bags there so I thought nothing else of it. HEY AT LEAST I DIDN'T LEAVE MY TRASH ON THE PIER TO BLOW AROUND! GO AHEAD CRUCIFY ME! J/k:p ;)

1 - 20 of 167 Posts