Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished the Tank Thurs. eve into Fri early am and had a nice night. Almost Low tide going in and out produced trout, rock and some croakers. Near High tide was good for some rock and lots of cats. I caught nearly a dozen large cats and decided to keep 3 for the table. Also took 6 nice sea trout in range 14-19". That was all before midnite ...after midnite, the east wind kicked in hard and the bite slowed. At 1:15, was trying to get a few more trout but landed a 26" Rock instead. Released him and headed home. Over the course of my 7 hours there I landed at least 20 stripers and only the one at 1:15 was legal size. Fresh cut spot was the bait of choice ...went down with 4 half pounders bought at Franks Seafood Market in Jessup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bitterchild,

Thanks for the reply ... and yes, you are right ... skinning those cats can be a pain ... it didn't bother me this time because I skin and fillet all the fish I catch and they were just three more after I skinned the 6 trout. I skin them all the same using a very sharp fillet knife just under the skin atop the gills and then down the back on each side of dorsal fin to tail. I then get my catfish pliers and pull the skin off each side then simply fillet. It is not too bad and the more you practice, the faster you get at it. Never any bones, skin or insides to deal with.

The cats I brought home were just the right size for skinning and filleting ... they were about 25" long and just fit nicely in the cooler. I caught a least 10 others that were too large for the cooler and gave my 30 lb. test line a workout especially 20 to 30 ft. above the bridge. I used the drop net for most. Big cats don't taste all that good anyway, so they went safely back into the river.

Tight Lines and keep your fillet knife very sharp ....

Wing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts