Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
You're trying to compare two wildly different things.
People buy Hobies for one reason; the mirage drive gives you two hands free. So if you want to pedal, buy a Hobie. If you want to paddle buy anything else.

Both are stable sit on tops. Both will handle a lot of gear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a hobie mirage and currently have an x-factor which is the same hull as the stealth 14.

Both are very stable, but the Malibu is more so. The Malibu is much more friendly to rigging. Not much space for your stuff on the Hobie.

The Malibu is heavier and two feet longer making it mor difficult to put on top of my van. The Hobie was very easy to put up.

I can take my boy out in my Malibu with the gator hatch. I have a trolling motor rigged up for when I take him.

I prefer the Malibu. I'm a big guy and found peddaling awkward. I also fish a lot of shallow water and didn't want to mess with the mirage drive back there.

Price will be about a wash. Once you buy a good paddle and maybe add the rudder you will be around the same price as a Hobie.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just got a X-factor with paddle and apex seat for a lot less than a hobie. I am a bigger guy and preferred the stabless of the Malibu over the Hobie. The pedals are super nice, but it really came down to price for me. I am buying two of them (one for the wife) so the price difference was doubled and came out over a $1000 dollars cheaper for me. A big difference in these hard economic times.

If you do decide to go with Malibu shoot me a PM and i'll give you my dealers contact info to get a good price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.