Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was sitting and watching Monday Night Football, and I realized I truly didn't give a rip about who won after I got ousted from this weeks pool. So El Dog and I decide to go for a quick walk on the beach to check things out. It was pure glass, no wind down there and just a slight drizzle.

I jogged the dead seagull eating dog back to the pad and suited up. After a brisk dawning of gear, I made it to the base of the CBBT. There were only three guys fishing, which was cool. I guess there rain scared everyone away. I made a quick chat with one of the guys and it turns out he said he recognized me as one of the yakker's fishing out there at the SBC yesterday. He was in a Boston Whaler. Cool guys.

I set up one bait rod to soak some cut Bunker, and got the rattletrap schoolie rod into action. The guys next to me were catching shoolies on a jig/grub.
I get a really good hit not more that 10' foot from my legs (wading), it didn't feel like a schoolie...turned out to be a rat Red...

Then I had hit after hit and pull of after pull off. How in the hell does a fish smack a lure with treble hooks hanging all over it and not get hooked or spit it?? :confused:...

Then a few more rat Reds which must have been running with the schoolies..

The rain started coming down, and then some schoolies decide to bite..

Ok, so here's the "one that got away" story.....:D
Everyone left, and I'm fishing alone out there whilst casting the Mirrolure and soakin' bait. I cast out into the lightline, and WHAMMOOO!!. Keep in mind that I'm using my 6'6" schoolie rod. The fish was no schoolie and it became very evident that I was outclassed on this one. It took off towards the Little Creek jetty and started to spool me. He ran over my bait line and kept going. It was dancing on the surface for a few jumps, so I'm not sure if it was an over-slot Red or a big Striper...I'm thinking Striper 'cause bigger Reds don't usually surface and splash all around when hooked. But it ran like a big Red. Whatever.....it got unbuttoned after about 5 minutes of fighting it. I didn't know whether to puke, crap or cry...or all three at the same time...

As you can imagine, I let loose an expletive so loud that God Almighty heard it....Sorry God....:D

It was a great little impromptu trip, regardless of the outcome.

Skunk

·
Registered
192 Posts
skunk must of just missed you out there,i got my limit and left becuase my toes started to freeze,tried to fix the leaks in my waders,didnt work,time for a new pair. i got home about 11:00 pm cleaned my to striper and played x box.there was like 10 people out there when i got there, evrybody on one side of the bridge,people on the beach slinging bait right over the waders heads,i didnt want to get involed in all that so i fished the left side all by myself, ended catching my limit after a hour or so, pulled a couple off,the people on the other side of bridge didnt catch one fish when i was there,seems the bite picked up after i left,was the tide moving in when you were catching your fish or was it dead low?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sweet! Wish I had it like that to just walk the dog and decide to go fishing. Keep us posted with these great reports

·
Registered
192 Posts
mr.skunk,just got my second pair of leaking waders dry,gonna hit chicks up again tonight,ill be leaving here sometime around 8:00 fish till my toes start to freeze,maybe ill be able to get your lure back for you,the one the fish took,you think lighting can strke twice? ive always said, big fish dont like being caught,sounds like you had a big one allright,dont worry about loosing the fish, it happens to us all,youll get another shot. man them striper were mighty tasty today,see if i cant get a couple for tommorow,s lunch!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr.skunk,just got my second pair of leaking waders dry,gonna hit chicks up again tonight,ill be leaving here sometime around 8:00 fish till my toes start to freeze,maybe ill be able to get your lure back for you,the one the fish took,you think lighting can strke twice? ive always said, big fish dont like being caught,sounds like you had a big one allright,dont worry about loosing the fish, it happens to us all,youll get another shot. man them striper were mighty tasty today,see if i cant get a couple for tommorow,s lunch!
Cool. The water's a little choppy right now. I'd like to join ya, but my mom is in town, so it's family time tonight.

That big daddy didn't break off or anything like that. When I reeled up, the Mirrolure was there and knot was just fine, he just spit it to my ultimate chagrin! Good luck out there tonight, and I might walk down if the night becomes an early one.

Skunk

·
Registered
805 Posts
skunk must of just missed you out there,i got my limit and left becuase my toes started to freeze,tried to fix the leaks in my waders,didnt work,time for a new pair. i got home about 11:00 pm cleaned my to striper and played x box.there was like 10 people out there when i got there, evrybody on one side of the bridge,people on the beach slinging bait right over the waders heads,i didnt want to get involed in all that so i fished the left side all by myself, ended catching my limit after a hour or so, pulled a couple off,the people on the other side of bridge didnt catch one fish when i was there,seems the bite picked up after i left,was the tide moving in when you were catching your fish or was it dead low?

I was out there last night too, sort of a last minute trip. Apparently i would have been one you considered to be throwing bait over ones head:rolleyes:. I moved all the way down to the end and even walked way down the beach to cast my line out. What else am i supposed to do, leave? When you guys would just walk right out in front of me if i was on the beach before ANY waders even got onto the beach let alone in the water. Not to mention you guys have no kind of light or reflective gear on!!!!:eek: Do you have any idea how hard it is to see you in that water at night? Especially when waders go way out to the left from the bridge, like out of the light line far. As far as the bait guys not catching anything I caught a pup and another guy caught a nice rock.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Attention!At Ease Sargent.Cant belive you havent got yourself a pair of waders yet,it is worth the investment,especially it being winter time in all,trust me on this one,you wont regrett getting a pair.I wasnt knocking ya for not having waders,it just looked like a accident waiting to happen,i didnt want to be the one to get beemed in the head because of someones poor casting skills,thats all. anyway, ill see you out there and have a happy thanksgiving.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
SkunkApe....about your cap in these pics

Did you buy it with the slits already in it or did you cut them in yourself? If bought....where from?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you buy it with the slits already in it or did you cut them in yourself? If bought....where from?

Thanks
That's a weird question Thrifty..:rolleyes: If your speaking of the 'yota hat, I got when I bought my truck. It's made of fleece and it's the warmest hat I've ever had. I guess that's what you're asking...right?

Skunk

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Well...kinda ....but not exactly.

I was looking at how your fishing light was attached thru what looks like a series of slits in your Yota cap....the cap you were wearing in the last picture you posted in the opening post of this thread. Looks like a great "hands free" way to wear my light without the risk of it falling off.
So...were the slits already in the cap when you bought it? Was the light attached when you bought the cap? Or did you cut the slits in there yourself and then attach the light?

By the way....I do notice every thing in posted pictures....not just the fish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Lying eyes of mine.:redface: Gotta get em retested.
After magnifying the pic I saw the outline of the band on his left side. That right side had me fooled.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lying eyes of mine.:redface: Gotta get em retested.
After magnifying the pic I saw the outline of the band on his left side. That right side had me fooled.

Thanks.
It's a cheap lamp....

At any rate, it was slowooowww....after Turkey Day. I guess the side-eyes had a dose of some Tryptophan as well.

It was a nice day out there though.

We're going to hit it in morning again.

Good night and good luck!

Skunk

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Good report. Probably a big striper that hit your line--I've seen some nice ones at Chick's over the years, though mostly on bait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts