Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at fishing on the beach at the Bay Bridge. Can somebody tell me when is the right time to fish the tide. I've heard different stories, but I'm always up for learning different methods. Casting or Surf.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, as long as the tide is moving. I also have found that a good breeze from the E or NE helps as well. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all.
I need a place that sells fresh bait. I've heard Long Bay Pointe Bait. Any others? Always want to learn about fishing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So most stripers caught here are by wading and casting? Bottom fishing rare? Has anybody tried bottom fishing here? Or just wait for the wave of feeding to cast in the surf?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
At night, most folks are wading at this spot during this time of the year. There are some that bottom fish this area but I have seen more fish caught by the lure slingers. Sometimes it's a 50 yard wade then another 30-50 yard cast to get to the fish. Other times, the fish are packed right inside the first bar and in easy casting distance without getting your feet wet.
Go with the waders and a light outfit. Those schoolies are fun on light gear.

W

·
0 Posts
The moving tides are right on. But I'd suggest personally NOT using any method of bottom fishing there at the base of the bridge since it will only result in getting tanled up with all whom cast lures there. And the lures are more productive as well.
Stripers for the most part are ambush feeders - until they begin migrating in the open water after Thanksgiving. So they hang out around the bottom contours and bridge pilings waiting for prey fish to come into reach. The lures are moving all the time - making casting efforts more productive than " Dead Sticking" a bottom bait.
There won't be one out of twenty surf casters there using the above method since the moving lines of lure casters tangle with those "anchored " to the bottom.
Dressed 4/0 to 7/0 bucktails from 1/2 to 3 oz's will work too, and until ya' get the hang of it, it "doesn't hurt so much" when ya' lose one in the pocket book. Dress em' with twister tails from 3 to 6 inches or more. And Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Windhawk, Info like this will keep fishin fun for all of us, I wouldn't want to get in the way of fast fun action. Again thanks!
I will try to keep the luck rolling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts