Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for some recon action tonight from 6:30-9:30. Around 7:30 I was able to wade to the light with another guy. Tossing green metal he hooked up with a schoolie. He hooked up with another while I was using a rattle trap with no luck so I switched to metal. While switching I dropped my bag o' lures in the bay...damn! I eventually hooked up with a schoolie and a small bluefish. My last fish was a very nice 23" fatty that would make a delicious stew if it where 4 OCT. The bite slowed and I took in a bit of water so I decided to call it quits. Bottom line, get out the waders and hit the CBBT, the fish are here. Oh yeah, bait fishermen were not catching anything from the beach.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Sounds like a decent scout trip, to bad about the bag-o-lures. You didn't mention if they were retrieved or not but I'd imagine with the water temps still in the low 70's you took them home for a fresh water bath. Is that how you took the water in the waders or did you fish the incoming for too long? I've been doing the same thing @ the Lesner, but mainly to try for the Pups, Trout & Flatties before the water gets too cold. It's just hard to leave the schoolies alone when they're out there feeding so hard!! Not too crowded there yet but I'm sure that'll change come midnight Friday.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never did retrieve the lures. I thought I had them between my feet, but I couldn't reach them and when I tried to snag them they were gone. As for taking on water, there was some good sized boat wake coming in at times. Bottom could have changed over time as well, but definitely still wadeable out to the light.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've never fished that spot for anything but late season Stripers, does it hold anything besides Stripers this time of year? I know the Lesner can get crowded, but I've often caught multiple species in the same hole with the same lure without even moving, at least until the water gets too cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts