Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Got a question about chicken breast. Does this bait stay on the hook fairly well when your chucking it out? Do you hook once like a squid strip or do you have to hook a couple times to hold? I will be as always using circle hooks (Octopus). Like I posted earlier myself and a bud are heading to PLO Thurday night for some action. Hope to try chicken. Oh one more thing I just thought of. Is frozen chicken alright or is fresh better. Sorry for all the questions but never used this bait before. I always try to be fully prepared for anything. Thanks
Should hit PLO by 8:00pm Thurday night.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
FISHNHOLE,

I've used nothing but circle hooks for over 5 years and never had a problem keeping chicken on, it holds the hook very well. Freash is always best. One thing thoe, when you cut the breast up always cut them with the grain of the meat...Goodluck at PLO, Hat80

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
No problem FISHNHOLE,

Thats what we are all here for. By the way, board member fish-on will be there Thur. night. Fred is a good guy, stop by and say hi to him. I think I'll be back down Fri. night...Have chicken, will travel...Tightlines

·
Registered
47 Posts
peeler oil

Where can i get some of that peeler oil?Called around nobody knows what i am talking about.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Most bait shops in the Chesapeake area doesn't carry it. You can get them on the coast in DE and Ocean city. I think that Sue Foster of Oyster Bay Tackle carry it and she has a website that you can order it from. I believe it's www.oysterbaytackle.com but you may want to check that. Also some people call it shedder oil so maybe try asking for that. I saw a lot of people at Cape Helopen using chicken breast but wasn't sure if they were using peeler/shedder oil. Hope this helps.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Joe mama,

I see your in Jessup. You can get shedder oil at Tylers Tackle Shop in Chesapeake Beach. It's about $5.75 a bottle, don't use to much. A few drops go's a long way. Ricks marina at Point Lookout also has it....Tightlines

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think they target Trout with chicken.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I fish off the coast of GA. Never herd of useing chicken for trout? I use live shrimp for that..Is chicken a better bait? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey Fatback I am from FL and never thought of using chicken for bait either. I believe the live shrimp you get in the southern states is a better bait for trout but up here chicken is definitely a great bait. It might be worth a try though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Fatback!

Live shrimp will outfish Purdue Peelers 4 out of 5 days. But on that fifth day, watch out.... some big weaks have fallen hard for tenders!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
You got that right. I want you to fish next to Hat at the cleanup and see who can catch more fish with their "recipe" peelers. I believe when Jake puts his in the water the fish can smell it from PLO State Park:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts