Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I came across this website and everyone here seems to be knowledgeable about my favorite pastimes of Crabbing and Fishing. So I’m a newbee here. This is my first post if I don’t mess it up somehow. Over the years I’ve crabbed many spots and locations in Maryland and North Carolina. Both from the shore and by boat. I currently use topless collapsible traps and sometimes hand lines. I have not used trot lines for the past few years but I plan to do more of that in the future. My questions today are regarding some of the options available for public crabbing locations and piers in Maryland. Specifically the old route 450 Bridge. I have heard this referred to as Jonas State Park.
Could someone clarify if fishing and crabbing are allowed on both sides of the old route 450 bridge? If there are facilities on both sides, what are the names of each side? I know how to gain access to the East side under the new bridge but how do you get to the old bridge on the West side?
For both locations can anyone tell me what the distance is from the bridge to the water surface and how deep is the water there?
I have 20’ of pull rope for each trap. Will I need longer lines on the traps if I crab from either side?
Shifting gears and heading East, does anyone crab from the Old Route 50 Bridge located on the Choptank River in Cambridge? Or is it too high above the water for pulling traps?
What’s the distance from the bridge to the surface of the water?
What’s the water depth range along the area that’s designated for fishing?
Can videos be attached here or is it limited to photos only?
Last question I promise.
I’ve seen this mentioned on this site several times. Where and what is the area dubbed “PLO”?
Thanks to all for your time and I look forward to hearing back from anyone that can shed some light on anything related to crabbing the Chesapeake.
Everyone please stay safe during this crazy madness of a crisis that we’re currently dealing with.
Cooper

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Specifically the old route 450 Bridge. I have heard this referred to as Jonas State Park. Yes it is.

Could someone clarify if fishing and crabbing are allowed on both sides of the old route 450 bridge? If there are facilities on both sides, what are the names of each side? I know how to gain access to the East side under the new bridge but how do you get to the old bridge on the West side?
For both locations can anyone tell me what the distance is from the bridge to the water surface and how deep is the water there?
I have 20’ of pull rope for each trap. Will I need longer lines on the traps if I crab from either side? Haven't fished there in many years and I don't crab so can't help you there.

Shifting gears and heading East, does anyone crab from the Old Route 50 Bridge located on the Choptank River in Cambridge? Or is it too high above the water for pulling traps? People routinely crab there and no, it's not too high for crabbing.
What’s the distance from the bridge to the surface of the water?
What’s the water depth range along the area that’s designated for fishing?
Can videos be attached here or is it limited to photos only? No rules against that as far as I know. This site is rarely moderated, so I wouldn't worry.
Last question I promise.
I’ve seen this mentioned on this site several times. Where and what is the area dubbed “PLO”? Point Lookout (State park)
Thanks to all for your time and I look forward to hearing back from anyone that can shed some light on anything related to crabbing the Chesapeake.
Everyone please stay safe during this crazy madness of a crisis that we’re currently dealing with.
Cooper You too Cooper!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. I’d love to share a short video of a monster crab I caught at Sandy Point. If someone knows how to attach a video please let know.
Cheers to all.
Cooper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts