Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be renting a house around Thanksgiving on an inlet marsh in cherry grove and heard that the flounder and red fish are good at that time. Is that true, what do I need to use, if they aren't good, what would be good to fish for? The house has a dock on the water, even during low tide, there is enough water for fishing. Give me any help since this is going to be a boys only fishing trip, we want to pull 'em in.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
look at whats under the water at dead low tide and fish structures you see at the higher tides.
anywhere you see steep drop offs fish around there during a higher tide. moving water keeps fish around the tail end of the structures/ drop offs. some saying that has some truth to this 'first of the in, last of the out'. givin this there is a dead spot in fish activity an hour before and after the tide changes. not much need in fishing when the water is in the middle of the tide because water moves very rapidly but you can still catch some. i find that anytime after an hour of tide change things pick up rather well. it stays good for a couple of hours and then drops off till the tide comes to an hour before the next tide change and drops back off. say if noon is high tide..i would like to be at my spot @1pm fish the backside of the structure for a few hours till the water starts movin' fast then i go elsewhere. at the middle of the tide is when the water is moving the fastest. when it starts slowing down i go back to the other side of the structures. say if the tide is low at 6pm. i would start back around 2pm and go till 5pm...when the water stops moving so do the fish. same goes if its movin' too fast.
keep in mind the tide heights and moon have a huge effect on the fishing window. faster moving tides cut the window down to almost shut sometimes in the backwaters. you want tides that have a foot height of 6to7ft and not much at 8to9ft tides. you can keep that window open if your able to follow the tides either by locating to a new spot at that time or changing up from the backwater to surf on an outgoin' opposite on incoming.
now maybe, maybe some of the more experienced fishermen here can help correct me if im wrong but that seems to have worked ok for me. please dont take what i wrote as concrete because im still learning.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
not till recently i used to use.
a double hook leader with a sinker. .99cent leader, a 2ounce weight..and #4hooks. pulled in spot and whiting all the time. i have since changed to different rigs with different results. aka 'ledweightII'.
carolina rigs and poppin' corks rule. smaller hooks sometimes help.
i here that circle hooks you do not have to set because the hook will set itself, just reel in. no bass hookups with the full body yank the lips off technique. simple twitch and reel.
i have caught an 8lb sheepshead with a #8 hook using fiddler crabs on a carolina rig. 1/2ounce weight. they are difficult to catch because you dont feel them hitting it. just keep pullin back on the line every 30 to 45 seconds and mabe you'll get a hookup. if the bait is gone you know that somethin got it. very patient fishing like that. always keep tension on the line and the weight on the bottom.
remember this, big rigs dont necessarily bring in big fish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great insight and info. Hopefully, like you said, if smeone with experience in that area will confirm or correct your info. But from what I have been looking at, you are right on. If you hear anything else, just post. And THANKS for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts