Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Stupid stuff likes this makes me soo mad!! This is the 3rd post on the board recently about commercial fishing and some of the horrible things they are doing. Not sure if this was commercial, but somebody should get fined for this at least check them and don't leave your net there with fish for 2 days. Looks like by the water clarity this was taken inshore not in the ocean? Where was this picture taken at? Any clue of the people who did it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good point...

Stupid stuff likes this makes me soo mad!! This is the 3rd post on the board recently about commercial fishing and some of the horrible things they are doing. Not sure if this was commercial, but somebody should get fined for this at least check them and don't leave your net there with fish for 2 days. Looks like by the water clarity this was taken inshore not in the ocean? Where was this picture taken at? Any clue of the people who did it?

Good to mention that just because there is a net in the water, doesn't neccessarily mean that it's a commercial net. I personally heard from somone who just bought 100yds. of "mullet" net. I've worked mullet net with a buddy of mine and can personally tell you that pups up to 18" will get caught in it. We dropped, beat it out, then picked, all unwanted fish were released alive. That's the proper way to maintain your nets. But I guaranty a non-commercial net will not be maintained nearly as well, because frankly most of the people dropping nets like that don't care anyway about regulations, size limits, quantities...etc. Not saying it's not a commercial net, but just noting that not all nets are commercial nets.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Good to mention that just because there is a net in the water, doesn't neccessarily mean that it's a commercial net. I personally heard from somone who just bought 100yds. of "mullet" net. I've worked mullet net with a buddy of mine and can personally tell you that pups up to 18" will get caught in it. We dropped, beat it out, then picked, all unwanted fish were released alive. That's the proper way to maintain your nets. But I guaranty a non-commercial net will not be maintained nearly as well, because frankly most of the people dropping nets like that don't care anyway about regulations, size limits, quantities...etc. Not saying it's not a commercial net, but just noting that not all nets are commercial nets.
Yeap...

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's why I have the VMRC number on my phone up here in VA. If I saw that here, I would call and at least let em know what and where I was seeing it. Hopefully then they would make the effort to see who the jerk(s) were.

I know plenty of commercial fishermen from being in the business and they don't leave their gillnets out for 2 days at a time. It is their tools of their trade and they take better care it than that and also most have a healthy respect for the resource and regulations whether they agree with them or not. Loosing their license would take away their income.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts