Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished outgoing tide from 8-10:30 p.m....about 2 hours before low tide at Cheatham Annex on 10/5. Stopped at the first light overhanging the water and could literally see the striper stacked up feeding. There was some type of silver, almost iridescent minnow in the water and the schoolie striper were just tearing them up! Alternated between casting a suspending rat l trap and a gulp on a plain hook...fish were shallow. Caught between 25-30 fish ranging in size from 10-18"...no keepers, but a lot of fun! For small fish, they fight and the bigger ones had some weight to them. Can't wait to hook into some keepers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the report jimrup85. Yeah the jump from 18 to 20 gonna be a tough one.

Twidpa: Yes but only if you are accompanied by military or govt contractor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
DwillBama5 is correct. $20 pass for military and $30 for contractors. You can go as a guest as long as your sponsor is one or the other.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going out again tonight. Will probably try farther down the pier...maybe the fish will get bigger the farther out I go...LOL!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't make it out. Had to help my daughter study for a calculus test. Hope to make it out tonight. High tide is a bit later, so may make improve my odds. You ever fish out there?
Yup every year for Striper season , when they are in there hot around late november-december, I can get my limit in about 20 minutes lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dwill's real picture. Sorry jimrup for stealing your post. Great report. I thought the water might still be too warm for the bigger stripers to come in, but only really one way to find out. Good luck tonight. Try all the way down right before the curve.

Personal protective equipment Photography

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No worries...it's everyone's post to comment on!! Was out at CA again last, but there didn't seem to be as many striper. It was slack tide (low) and there was a lot of everything else out there...caught a 15" blue, 14" grey trout, and a bunch of small striper and perch using just the yellow 3" Gulp swimming mullet. Ran into a couple of other P&S'ers out there though and one of them hooked into a NICE striper...had to have been 15 lbs. By the way, he was using Gulp swimming mullet as well...in the place you recommended...right before the curve. I wasn't that far down...was fishing by the house, but now I know!

·
Registered
178 Posts
They do. But my experience with schoolie or slot Rockfish they like to feed sub service and the upper water column. This why lighting is essential (IMHO) during the fall/winter run. That being said.. Fishing there after dark will get your gear taken and a fat ticket lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts