Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the striper season is coming to a close and I'm out of town the rest of this week, I decided to put a full court press on getting a keeper striper this season. Caught dozens of little ones, but no keepers. I've been wanting to try eels, but everyone's been telling me that it's still too warm for the big, migratory fish (the ones that prefer eels, I guess) to be in the rivers...so I waited. Well, wait no more! I finally got some eels on Monday and rigged two poles with a slide sinker to fish the bottom and another pole with a float to fish higher up. Fished Cheatham Annex last night, starting about 6 pm, right before low tide. At about 8:30, I was finally rewarded with a keeper striper...23" and about 5 lbs. Not a monster, but keeper nonetheless. It bit on one of the poles with the slide sinker on the bottom. Then, at about 10:30, as the tide is starting to roll back in, I've got another hookup...feels like it's about the same size as the last one...but my hook broke in half and I lost it. But, at least I got one!! Good luck to everyone else out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice! Congrats on the keeper. Some respectable fish (30 to 40+") have been caught in the rivers with eels the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Too bad the season is ending so soon! I plan to keep fishing for them, using eels, but I'll just have to throw them back now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrats Jim. My cousin was telling me. He was talking to a guy that caught a rock out there last night. I'm gonna assume that you are that guy :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice job. My buddy showed me a picture of a guy catching a nice 34" a week ago at CA. Maybe they are finally here. Too bad the season ends tomorrow lol. Nice job staying with it too. I found out that if you just keep at it, you will eventually catch. Double nice you caught it on an eel. I have yet to catch one on an eel from the surf/pier. I hope it made your drag sing the sweet zeeeeeeee sounds every angler wants to hear :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts