Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody see the front page today? how many years of experience do you need to learn how to read radar. just shows how much of a joke the virginia beach charter fleet is..

Pretty work!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You forgot to mention that CLAUDE BAIN was on the boat too, he is setting a great example for for us virginia fishermen!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Fortunate that it was NOT Claude Bains fault that he was that far out HE was not at the helm.
There is no need to fault Claude or any other that was on that boat.
It just a bad deal that it happened!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
"just shows how much of a joke the virginia beach charter fleet is.. "

Actually the majority of the fleet is owned and/or operated by highly skilled professional fishermen/captains. That Herb Gordon made a mistake only goes to show that most of these fellas are just as vulnerable to mistakes as you and I are. These guys are not "untouchables" as some perceive them to be, they're just regular folks like you and me. It's unfortunate that some highlevel names were involved....

Lou

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Tough call...How are you supposed to know when you reach the 3 mile line and are now in Federal waters? GPS doesn't tell you unless the Capt put some waypoints on his GPS to alert him.

Not like drawing a line in the sand....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Didn't Dr Jim have this same screwup 2 years ago?.......Tough luck but when you're past the boundaries ya gotta pay the price......DOH! :eek:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ditto on the human part just shows that any one is capable of screwing-up, and it was a fine line less than 4 mis. out. It wasn't just Mr. Bain with him Mr. Welton of the Va. CCA was onboard too. You're right about Dr. Jim, but fortunately he too was just a customer that day even though he was on his son's boat.The best thing about both incidents was that the Captains took full responsibility and claimed their own screw-up rather than letting the others onboard, of which none could stand the publicity, taking the blaim as well. Just like the old saying goes anyone can screw-up but it takes a good man to claim his own.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I DON'T PERSONALLY KNOW THE THREE INDIVIDUALS IN QUESTION, I ONLY KNOW OF THEM. WITH THAT SAID, I HAVE A HARD TIME BELIEVING THEY DID'NT KNOW THEY WERE 3.9 MILES OUT.( WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO SAY? )IF ANYTHING, THEY WERE PROBABLY MORE AWARE OF THEIR LOCATION THAN MOST. IF THEY WERE REGULAR JOES LIKE MYSELF NOTHING WOULD BE MADE OF IT. THEY COULD FLASH A SHEEPISH GRIN,PAY THE FINE, AND MOVE ON.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Just a slow day @ the Va. Pilot. It's amazing what is considered "news" now-a-days; the front page of the local sect.??!!come on. That's why I try to look at the sports page first, most of the time they tell you about other persons accomplishments where the rest of the paper is ragging about someones screw-ups.The funny page is always next!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Alright guys,
I cant vouch for the other two captains that you have mentioned but I happen to know Dr. Jim personolly. He is one of the biggest advocates of conservation and preserving our sport for the next generation that I know of. He wants to save this sport and the fish we catch for his grandkids just like I'm sure the rest of you guys do. I believe wholeheartedly that he had caught the fish in question outside of the 3 mile limit and was on his way back in when he was cited. I also aplaud his son David, the captain of the boat, for taking the accusation "on the chin" This is just what I have to say about someone whom I know to be a good man and very willing to help newcomers into the sport.
Tight lines and popped riggers guys

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sandcrab, the 3mile limit is plainly marked on nautical charts such as Capt Segull's. Also, many GPS unit are now of chartplotter variety that have the lay of the land overlay on the screen so its easy to see where you are.

I agree with TDAU, I too have a hard time believing that they did not know where they were. That Herb answered as he did I question, but what else could he have said. I agree what TDAU is saying that if anything they were more aware than most of their location. I know for a fact that their boat has precision nav equipment onboard that can pinpoint their location within a few feet. I mean Herb can run his boat many miles offshore to locate a wreck with no problems.....

Laters,

Lou

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
tdau ask your buddy Scott about being busted.

heaver not all charts are marked with a three mile line. maybe the the one you mentioned and maybe not the one onboard the mentioned boat that day.

we all make mistakes.
LET IT GO.................

·
Registered
23 Posts
FISHMAN
MY ONLY REGRETS ABOUT GOOD BUDDY SCOTT BEING BUSTED IS THAT I WASN'T WITH HIM. I'M SURE YOU HAVE HEARD THE WHOLE STORY, BUT IF YOU HAVEN'T IT'S WORTH HEARING. SOUNDS LIKE A SCENE FROM A 3 STOOGES SKIT. NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG, I'M NOT TRYING TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON THOSE GUYS AND IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT SUCH A BIG DEAL HAS BEEN MADE OF IT.I JUST HAVE A HARD TIME BELIEVING THEY WERE UNAWARE OF THERE LOCATION THAT'S ALL.BY THE WAY, IF YOU STILL HAVE A COPY OF THE ARTICLE ABOUT SCOTT BEING BUSTED, I'D SURE LIKE A COPY FOR MY SCRAPBOOK.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
TDAU know Scott well. I have heard his story and the fools who boarded needed more training. Wasnt trying to bust anyones chops.
Mistakes do happen.

Rick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fishman, you are correct that not all charts are marked with the 3mile limit line.

Personally I could care less that Herb went over the edge.

The intent of my posts are to show that with the simplest of equipment there is no way that a boater is going be "lost".

Capt Segull Chart #CBM119 is marked with the 3mile line, GMCO's Cape May Cape Hatteras Offshore chart is not. I do not know if it is marked on my other charts, they are on the boat. Regardless, it is easy to stay inside, or get outside the 3mile limit. I have both LORAN and a GPS chartplotter on my boat and though I consider myself to posses on the most basic of navigating skills I can easily tell where I am at with the use of a chart and compass, the LORAN unit, or the GPS alone - no radar needed. If I as a recreational boater/fisherman have these charts and equipment onboard I doubt a commericial would have anything less.

As an example of how easy it is, entering the 37 lat/longs below into your gps and saving them as a route, then selecting that route to nav, the gps will draw the selected route on your gps screen showing the 3mile limit all along our coast down to NC. This information is widely known, passed on, and shared.

3MILE01 N37 15.859 W75 43.106
3MILE02 N37 14.863 W75 43.706
(snip-snip)
3MILE36 N36 23.486 W75 45.878
3MILE37 N36 22.208 W75 45.519

Though earlier on this same thread I originally attributed Herb's blunder to "human error" in reality I privately found this hard to believe. But hey, give the guy the benifit of a doubt. There is a bunch of postings going on in the other boards re this topic, Herb is just going to have to weather the storm - he, afterall, started it.

Lou

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
``I would never jeopardize their reputations by going outside the line on purpose,'' he said. ``They both grilled me about staying inside the line before we went out and several times on the trip.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First of all, why do you come on this board and diss some of the best fisherman in the area. There only human and do make mistakes. Im sure you guys all have made a few. Also Im sure they have gotten enough grief lay off of them. Im sure if any of you were in the same situation you feel terrible.

No offense to any one though just had to make a point that everyone makes mistakes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts