Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some of you might have seen the post in boating board of the charter Manayuk Jake had out of hoopers island. MJ and friend Ed joined Anthony, his dad and myself. We headed out at around 2:30 pm yesterday and went straight to buoy 72 to go get out limit of rockfish. Took us about 45 mins to get there. Right when we got close we heard a big boom! Scared the bejeebers out of me! They were firing at the target ship out there. It was some show! Many more booms and the amunition lighting up the sky around the target ship. Back to fishing....The mate started to chum and with in 5 mins I had first fish on. It was unbelievable. Steady rockfish for the next 1 hr. We were throwing back 19 and 20 inchers to see if we can get bigger ones. Everyone limited out and even got an extra fish for the mate all around 20". I would say a total of around 60 to 70 rock were caught all together. Biggest was Anthony's 22 and a half incher. Bait was bunker guts. Threw a couple live lines out. Never even touched! Only the bunker guts. Kind of made me feel like I was fishing in the Bass Pro Shops fish aquarium! It kind of felt like cheating. Moved ship and went to see if we could get some croaker. Ended up moving another time when first croaker spot only produced a few small fish. Setup at next spot and proceeded to catch small croaker and some nice spot. Then the blues came in and gave us some real fun. Largest that we put in cooler was a little over 3 lbs. Captain was fishing with us and he lost one that was well over 5 lbs. It felt pretty good to get into some blues! Two large rays were caught and 1 of them was by Anthony's dad. He had a good time fighting it for about 15 mins. Gaffed it and released it. Was well over 60 lbs! Also caught were a few whiting(mullet, kingfish, whatever else you want to call it) and a small 12" trout. Called it a day and headed back in at around 8 pm. Not a bad trip for 100$ per person and had the whole dang boat to ourselves. All the fish caught we could of caught from shore last year but after the year we have had, it felt pretty darn good to get into em. It was a pleasure meeting MJ and his friend Ed. And of course Anthony's dad. Hope to see you guys again this fall at the tank. I would recomend this charter to anyone. The captain was a real cool guy and so was the mate. The day charters are 450 and the weekends are 550 for 6 to 8 hours. Only problem is that hoopers island is an hour away from the choptank pier! If anyone wants the # MJ, Anthony and I have it. Tight Lines!:D

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Glad you guys got into them. Wish I could have made the trip but with vacation starting today the timing wasn't right. Hope I have the same luck at OC this coming week.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I can't remember what day it is anymore:rolleyes: The charter trip was yesterday the 21st:cool:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
That's alright Jason, that's what staying up 2 days straight then trying to go to work the next day can do that to you. It was a fun charter. Have you had that whiting yet, that fish was pretty tasty. I forgot how good those little things were, may have to go to OC and fish the surf for those fish. Anyway it was a fun charter and it was good to fish with friends and family on out own boat. Also Jake got the captain to provide us with 1/2 bushel of large male crabs for 40 bucks. I need to go fishing again with this captain just for the crabs. Jason pretty much summed up the trip. Those rockfish are pretty tricky to catch at times, one hit and your bait was gone. It was also good to see that trout, even though it was a throwback. The captain is very knowledgeable and would recommend this charter to anyone.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Jason and Anthony!

Seems like this has been the Pier & Surf norm this year -- meeting great people but everyone forgets to invite the big fish! Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves -- Ed and I were afraid you'd be really disappointed. This was our worst charter with Capt Dave, but we really can't complain. The rock part of the trip was excellent, although we did have to wade through a few small ones to pick out that limit. The size could have been better, but when you read about guys working hard to find an 18 inch fish, you feel a little relieved... And Capt Dave did put us over fish once again. The size wasn't great, but like Dave says: "You can't catch what ain't there!" Considering the kind of year its been, we did OK....

I posted my report on the boating board. At least we didn't come away with three different stories! I'll post the pics as soon as their available. The one of Anthony's dad fighting that ray should make a good ad for Ugly Sticks and Penn Reels! When we go again, it will be in June when those horse croaker are in, or October when the trout are fattening up. I still want a crack at a red drum -- guess I'll have to get back into surf fishing.

Thanks for the great company, and thanks for helping me through a rough time....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Don't worry about it Jake. We understand what kind of year this has been. Besides, me and Jason got plenty of croakers in the freezer. All that really matters is that we all had fun and caught some fish to take home.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldn't of said it better Anthony. Great time by all Jake. Let us know when you go again!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings catman!

Don't feel too bad -- if you had to miss the charter, this was the one to miss! The fishing was good, but not great... wait till next time! Like Jason said, it almost feels like your cheating when those rock are swimming around the boat waiting for your bait. But then you miss three or four hits in a row, and it seems like the FISH have the advantage! We were setting the hook so quickly that some of the fish were hooked in the top of the head, the tail, the side, and even up the ass! Anthony switched from Capt Dave's octopus hooks to circle hooks, and came up blanked for 15 minutes. He switched back in a hurry....

Capt Dave knows rock! He could tell you when and why you missed the fish. And the rock aren't dumb... they'll "squeeze" the blood out of the guts and spit out the bleached bait. These fish hit fast... ask Jason and Anthony about "fishing on credit..."

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D Fishing on credit: Them fishies aren't plastic friendly! Like everyone already knows, No bait on hook= No fish in cooler.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Anthony!

Sorry about that -- thought you had made the switch back to the octopus hooks. Considering we only had two deep-hooked fish out of all those rock, we did good. I think that has more to do with how fast they were hitting and how they were taking the bait then our fishing skills. Seems those rock "knew" not to toss those baits back in their throats.... even when we ran low on guts and started using Gilbert's custom cut bunker cubes!

Seems I owe you guys a couple of keeper fluke. We'll see what we can do about that.... At least I didn't have to spring for a free breakfast!

Hope to see you and Jason at the Choptank clean-up....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.