Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Bob for the explanation that he tends to be "gruff". However, How many times is it going to happen? He was "gruff" with me at the Southestern when I tried to get him to issue the color coded class flags. He was "gruff" over the colored flages agian at the Northestern but at least said I could do it myself. He was especially "gruff" when I asked to measure the Mamoi line he brought to and kept hidden at the Northester which he was dealing out to select customers(he wouldn't give me any). This last "gruffness" put me into "Awe" since he had delegated me as the offical measurer. Which makes sense since I am an ASE certified machinist, ASE master mechanic, bought a Central tools digital Mic that shows the fourth metric dicimal place just to measure line with, regularly measure our practice line and have been adjusting valves with a feeler gague for 40 years( this takes the same "light drag" stlye of measurement.) I tried to just walk away, but Bob got in my face for trying to walk away and that was too much. I am sorry for the tention that it generated and I feel like this explanation is necessary as there are issues here that I would like to see resolved before another event.

1. The director can not show partialitly to anyone or group.

2. The director can not demand that a line not be measured. If fact it should be acknowledeged that line diameter is a relevent criterion of distance casting and can and should be measured whenever challenged.

3. How many casts are there going to be? 5, or 6, or as many as time permits?

4. How many or how few casters will constitute a "heat" (I was in "awe" over sending 7 down the field and even at splitting up as many as 30.) I feel like most casters are professional rod and reel handlers and can cope with retrieving their leads without falling all over themselves.If the smallest attempt is made to place the rod where the line falls it should help things quite a bit.( I mean if the line drifts left, then place the rod on the left, and vice versa)

5. Call out the next 5 casters is order.

In closing I'd like to say that we have a great club and I would like to go anything I can to make it better.

·
Registered
668 Posts
pretty deep charlie. but i agree on the fact that rules are rules. they should be followed to the letter and any changes should be voted on before the event starts and not while the event is in progress. i think bob is trying to do a good job and is but we must stick to the rules as a group or change them as a group. good points tho charlie.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wow Chaz.

Big learning curve and a lot of responsibility with the recent change at the helm - for all of us, from Bob on thru the organization. In time, the rough edges'll smooth out. Whether it be the rules, letter-of-the-law enforcement of those rules, or otherwise.

Sad to hear you came away from the weekend feeling that way. I had no idea until this. The org could use the endorsement of everyone's support and encouragement during these early stages of change, and it's good of you to offer yours. Bob has allowed for the group to provide input, and is willing to listen.

Personally, I believe the transition has been, and is, going as well as it can. I'm sure our new leader is "hearing it" from all sides, and taking it in. Even though the org has moved along quite well early on, it might take a little more time. Let's give it that. Will.

·
Registered
797 Posts
well said bwj.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts