Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the late 90s we used to fish upriver for rockfish in may. We would use herring for bait. I have no idea what kind specifically. I want to try this again this year but I was looking at the regs:

Unless otherwise noted, the striped bass season begins May 16 of each year.

The minimum possession length is eighteen inches (18”). Anglers may possess no more than two (2) fish in the following combinations of lengths:

•Two (2) fish between eighteen inches (18”) and twenty-eight inches (28”), OR
•One (1) fish between eighteen inches (18”) and twenty-eight inches (28”) and one (1) fish greater than twenty-eight inches (28”).
Currently, there are no bait restrictions, however, there is a coast-wide moratorium on the possession of American Shad (Alosa sapidissima), Hickory Shad (Alosa mediocris), blueback herring (Alosa aestivalis), and alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus).
My question is this, looking at the moratorium, what the hell would you use for bait anymore?

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are no more fish at Chain Bridge! The Vietnamese poachers netted them all. Go to your neighborhood pho restaurant and you can buy the fish already prepared! No muss.. no fuss!

Back in the late 90s we used to fish upriver for rockfish in may. We would use herring for bait. I have no idea what kind specifically. I want to try this again this year but I was looking at the regs:

My question is this, looking at the moratorium, what the hell would you use for bait anymore?

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are no more fish at Chain Bridge! The Vietnamese poachers netted them all. Go to your neighborhood pho restaurant and you can buy the fish already prepared! No muss.. no fuss!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts