Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Virginians. I'm going with Joe Mama to the charter @ VA beach friday morning. Its about a 5 hr trip so were gonna leave Thursday and decided to fish the CBBT Thursday night. We need help lol. Does it cost , is it open 24/7 , what to use(live , lures , whatever , etc,... , good spot with directions(were from Baltimore , never been down there to fish. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks ,
JettyPaul

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
JettyPaul, you have to pay th toll to get across th CBBT but it is no charge to fish th pier. Th pier is on th last island if you are heading south. There is also a gift shop/resturant but I believe is closes at 7 in th winter. As far as what to use I'll let someone that has caught fish in th winter out there help ya there. ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
pier is open 24/7..$10 toll fee to cross bridge...cant help ya on the bait either i got skunked the 2 times i went to it lol

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
A variety of lures will work including Gotcha plugs, Rat-L-Traps, Bucktail with 6" curl grub tail, Bass Assasin 5" Shad Assassin, etc.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Elwy's! :)
That reminds me of growing up and fishing the PAX river in MD. My uncle would stop by the tackle shop right before we got to the base and as soon as he walked in the door he would just say "L-Y" (in his Filipino/Tagalog accent). By the time he got to the counter he had his money out and we were off with the "L-Y".
For the longest time I would look on the bait board to try to find "L-Y" but could never find it so I bought 'bunker' instead. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
i just got back from there. great night. pulled in 10 stripers. first was 23inches and was pulling them up steady for a few hours. everyone out there had thier limit. i was holding off for the big one but ended settling for the second one being 22. i had a great night. last 2 times there have been good for me.

i would suggest using plastics. used clams, and squid with no results. i had luck with silver gotcha plug, rattle trap. storm shad.

once again it is so good to come home and have caught ur limit
:D

dan lee

·
Registered
189 Posts
We've always done good with artificials at the pier. Mostly Gotchas and 4 or 6 inch Storms . Have also had good luck on the bottom with chunks of blues or bunker or whole chowder clams shucked and hooked through the stomach and the foot.
Good Luck on your trip !!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Elwive

Thats what us Maryland boys call Bunker or Menhaden its all the same fish.What size lures you guys use?1/2oz?or more?What type of sinker is used for baitfishing down there?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have used 3/5 oz lead heads and the normal lures. for bait fishing i would tell u to bring it all between 2-6 oz because u never know out there. didn't see any pulled up on bait. i used clam and saw another guy useing mullet with no luck.

dan lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts