Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since shore fisjing has been a little frustrating to say the least, I have been doing a little boat fishing at the CBBT.

Yeterday was a fairly nice day on the water, winds 5-10 to start, picking up to 10-20 by 10:00 am with 1-2 ft waves. Fished for flounder at the 8 mile, small boat channel, 1st, 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd islands. drifted thru both bridges and caught some flounder (6). No keepers. Again I had the largest, this time 17 1/4" but a fatty. All safely ruturned to the Bay.

We came up on a cluster of Taylor Blues jumping all over the top of the water Bay side, but appearing to be chasing nothing and nothing chasing them. No birds, no scraps, no nothing. Weird! We thru everything at them, but nothing hit. Another boat with us snagged one, but no bites.

We got quite a few croaker and gave those away to some guys fishing the jetty on our return to Little Creek. All in all a good day on the water, but a sad day for keepers.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Well-my friend,I just missed you.
I was down @ my end.
Nada bite for 2 hours-but there was alot of activity-not even 5 feet in front of me.I could identify 1 of the fish-1 nice size schooly striper,and I am assuming small snappers.They were all feeding on small silver sides.Threw every thing in the tackle bag at them.
Frustrating when the fish are rite in front of you-but they aren't paying you any mind.I guess those silver sides taste a lot better than my stainless steel hook....
Fortunately,I had my cast net,and the daily evening menhaden run was starting.
As far as you can see down Chesapeake Beach,you can watch the frenzied schools stir up the water.Saw some small flounders jumpin out of the water,feeding always intrigued me.....
I was assuming the snapper run was to begin,so I rigged my wire leader to hook and crimped a 1/8 slip-shot on.and hooked a nice peice of fresh menhaden on.(my version of simple fishin)Can't cast very far...but the most effective way to not get hung on the underwater rocks.

Not even 10 mins in the water with a slow retrieve-BAM.....my drag on my lite tackle started to peel.FISH-ON.

I am assuming snappers,needed to re-stock my deminished flounder bait,I reeled the sucker in.
But to my surprise-A nice(20 inch)SPEC.
Re-baited and proceeded to toss towards the schooling menhaden-Another SPEC.

Did this for about 45 mins,until the bite died down,and the menhaden and hungry fish, slowly started to disappear.

All in all,Kept 4 Specs.The smallest one over 18 inches,and the largest one @ 20 inches.Gonna fry them up,along with some Flatties, this afternoon,after work.Gimme a ring if you want a plate!

Tight Lines
Al

·
Registered
225 Posts
where were you fishing? you dont have to give the exact spot but approx would be nice. i didnt think the specs were around now. at least i havnt heard anyone talking about them. you got them on cut bait ? close to shore? from the beach? thanx for the report
:D

also where are there good jetties to fish? and how do you get to them from the strip at va beach? im thinkin with some clam you might get some sheepshead.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Right off Pleasure house road.I am oppisite of the boat ramp and the CBBT.If you fish @ Chix's,by the boat ramp and walk towards the CBBT(which is a very long walk)And keep walkin pass the CBBT,you will be stopped a Military fence.
That is where I am fishing @.

bait used:
Menhaden-on a spade fish rig

How far:
Real close to shore-I am only casting a hook,a 5 inch menhaden(hoohed through the mouth) and a 1/8 slip shot(so bait can stay submerged).
I don't think I am even casting 30 feet.

I have caught specs recently in that same spot(check the archives),but they hit on Hurricane 4 inch lead inbedded split tail silver side lookin artificials.I have caught them while jigging for flounder.

But the ironic thing last nite was that I was expecting to catch snapper blues,but Specs were the primary fish pushing up the menhaden.

If you come to fish this area,be forewarned-there are undewater,snag you in a minute, rocks.Not visible @ high tide,but visible only @ low.That is why I try to eliminate as much weight as possible.
I have tried barrel weights and in line weights,but I am sacraficing cast length to the fact the fish are right under my nose.

Tight lines-And hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
ok i think i know where you are talking about. is there anywhere closer to park than at the boat ramp to fish there? isnt that like a mi or more from the lesner bridge? if so thats a long a#% walk with all the stuff i bring with me:mad:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Nserch sounds like a great time, you've reinforced the thought about the cast net and fresh, live bait. I fished the grass beds near Crab Creek yesterday from 0500-0800 and the bait was everywhere. It was dark when I got there but you could hear the (big) fish feeding on the bait as they came out of the water, then as it got lighter you could see them. I threw evrything I had at them and did manage a couple of undersized Flatties (throw-backs) and even snagged a Turtle that got a little too inquisitive with my jig, but I'm sure a live menhaden on a float rig next to the bulrush would of done a lot better. Anyway it was a good morning on the water fishing with a couple of friends that even included catching some fish, but next time I'll have my cast net & minnow bucket!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Crab Creek grass beds?

Where exactly are these grass beds in Crab Creek? Also, where is Crab Creek? Is this in Lynhaven somewhere?

I have heard them mentioned a lot lately but I have no idea where it is or how to get there.

Thanks,

DC

·
Registered
225 Posts
crab creek is the creek on the boat ramp side isnt it. i think if you walk from the ramp side to the water then go left until you get to the creek. at least thats what i thought. what were the fish hittin on top blues,trout or puppies? could you tell?:D

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
DC, the medic is close, the grass beds are just west of the mouth (outlet) of Crab Creek which is the name of the old natural waterway that has been turned into the new city owned boat ramp facility at Lynnhaven Inlet. You used to be able to walk there if you parked at the inlet and went around the big sand dune/ dredge spoil area, but now that they dredged to create the new channel to the boat ramp you've got to park on one of the neighborhood streets (Dinwiddie) and walk there. A little bit of a hike but well worth it! I noticed from your profile that you're a flyfisherman and it's wide open back there - a great place to toss some flys. I think it's also far enough from that dumb-a$$ "NO FLYFISHING" sign that was put up by the Gestapo from the City near the bridge. Joe,I didn't catch any of the breaking fish so I can't say. The fish I caught were actually on the slack current after low water and by then most of the bait fish had disappeared.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info. I fished back there about five years ago or so in the fall. Unfortunately it was October and the specs and pups had left the inlet at that point. I have heard that when they are there it can be good fishing.

Good to know about the access changes though, I haven't been there since they finished the new boat ramp. I may try fishing there this weekend or early next week. I'll be down to fish with my brother on his boat on Monday and Tuesday and I may be at Sandbridge or VA Beach this weekend.

I've been dying to try out my 8 weight flyrod for pups and specs and that is probably the best and closest place to Richmond to do it.

DC

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
As far as the Lynnhaven area to a spot that is accesible by foot, it's one of my favorite. Unless you're 6'6" or taller you'll need the tide about 2-3hrs. on either side of low to get close enough to the bulrushes to fish the channel next to them ( unless you're wearing a wetsuit or don't mind getting wet!). I haven't noticed that the current (incoming or outgoing) makes a difference. Good luck and post-up if you go, good or bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts