Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out tonight from 8:30 till 11. Tide was outgoing and tons of bait in the water. Waded out and the bait fish were so thick the were bangin into my legs non stop.Threw everything, spoons,bucktails,rattletraps, nothing seemed to work except cut croaker and squid. Small blues, croaker and one small speck from what the cut bait guys told me. Oh well it was a nice night, maybe next time. Oh yeah, saw a big skate finned and tailed laying in the surf. I guess the smallies will finish him off. Some sort of trophy? Or maybe used it for bait?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yea I hit the lesner sunday night on the duck inn side. the bait was the same there, and the striper were exploding all over them, some only feet in front of me. only problem is that when there is thousands or millions of baitfish its hard to get em interested in your lure. its easy pickens why chase a lure. my tally for the night 3 striper one biggun around 28 in, and one nice 20.5" flounder for the table.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice report

Nice to here about plentiful bait. I aiming to hit CBBT soon myself.

If bait is being busted on the surface and they wont take imitations, try throwing something that looks crippled or chewed with some weight to get underneath of the breaking fish. Often there are bigger fish or different species underneath feeding on what falls. Kind of like a natural chumming station.

Per the skate, once you remove the skin you will be surprised at the meat beneath, try it sometime...it's good. It's starting to pop up in restaurants alot more often, now.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
mummi, trust me i fished the surface the bottom and everything in between with everything from jigs to rattle traps. I did get three stripa outta the group, and TONS of short strikes. I was snagging multiple mennhaden on a single cast.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was snaggin them too. So sometimes I would leave them on and send them back out but still to no avail. Might hit it again tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts