Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's '08, but my brain was on vacation a day early when surfva decided to intercept me with another Striper plunder. As it turns out Capt. Morgan was already at the beach, loaded up and waiting for us...but his fly was down..:D (and it was cold out)..:D

As the nordic sportsman I am, I rallied the troops with a hearty yelp and a gesture towards the prey!!!

We made our way out there to the base of the CBBT, and first cast (no ch*t), Mr. schoolie ate the Mirrolure....

We were gunning for some bigger class Striper, both trolling Stretches, but aside from a few pulls and spits, our yaks came up empty of some longer side-eyes :mad:

Nonetheless, there was some decent shoolie action. They seemed to love Mirrolure (again).

Lot's of litte guys splashing around..

I will say that a Mirrolure is effective, but that [email protected] thing seems to hook more things on my yak (and my person) than fish..

More schoolies..

We ended up releasing all of them, voluntary or involuntary except for this little 20" pig. It was donated, but I'd really like to know what's in it's stomach to make it such a round bellied schoolie. (BTW, I allowed him three smokes before he was executed...:D)

There out there, just not at slack tide.

Skunk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice report!

I have a quick question, what type of glove are you using? is it water proof and does it keep your hands warm? how's your dexterity with em? I have a yak also and would love to do some night yak fishing but I find my hands going numb very quickly.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice report!

I have a quick question, what type of glove are you using? is it water proof and does it keep your hands warm? how's your dexterity with em? I have a yak also and would love to do some night yak fishing but I find my hands going numb very quickly.
After freezing my digits off for a few seasons, I found that the following method works, as best as it can:
1.) Launch and fish with a pair of Seal Skins on. Fishing with them is no problem as far as dexterity goes. Your hands will starting to get cold as you bail fish, retie rigs..etc.
2.) Then change up to some military style "watch gloves". They're not waterproof and dexterity is at a minimum, but as the night winds down, they're a life saver when you're paddling in.

Skunk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Big Fat Schoolie

Well SkinkApe(sp):p the "fatty was on schedule as was later figured out "WHEN THE STRIPERS FEED THEY FEED HOT AND HEAVY AT A CERTAIN TIME OF THE TIDE:confused:THEY SETTLE IN AND WAIT FOR THE NEXT FEEDING TIME OF THE NEXT TIDE (Dang I should of been an Icthyologist ) AND GAME ON AGAIN. So the answer to yer question of feeding of the Schoolies is........

As of right now, they are feedin on small menhaden(bunker)? and this little guy had three bunker and one Finger Mullet in its fat belly

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Nice job. Always luv lure fishin.

·
Registered
243 Posts
nice. we were out there last nite and they were definantly feeding on bunker about 5" long. they were so thick you could snag em with your lure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts