Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the surf for about 2 hours at lunchtime today in Cherry Grove using fresh shrimp. I didnt expect to catch anything at all -mostly wanted to try out my new $10 Shimano 4000 spinning reel that ive heard so many great reviews about. No bites for a long time and out of nowhere my rod slammed down hard. Im a weekend fisherman, no pro by any means, so a million things were going through my head on what it could be. I reeled a few turns and then it was literally pulling me in with it so i set the drag and just reeled in with the tide the best I could manage and tried to tire it out some. I figured shark but once I saw part of the fins I ran in with jeans and boots on so I wouldnt lose him. He measured out around 25-26" so of course set him free but man what an awesome fight!!

** for anyone interested, I usually fish w Abu and Penn baitcasters but this thing is so smooth its amazing. Using 17lb Stren mono it worked flawlessly, tough to beat for $10!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congrats! I caught my first from the surf earlier this year. Lucky!!! All we got today was a few black drum at Pawley's. Lol. Oh well, guess we'll be headed to the Aaron Lewis concert without any fish tales.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! I caught my first from the surf earlier this year. Lucky!!! All we got today was a few black drum at Pawley's. Lol. Oh well, guess we'll be headed to the Aaron Lewis concert without any fish tales.
Thats great, i saw your other post that said I think you guys caught 3 nice black drums? enjoy the concert :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats Chris! Nice Redfish and definitely worth wet feet. I'd done the same thing :D
Nothing like that first Redfish, you got that fever now.
Thanks for the report and the pic!

:fishing:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats Chris! Nice Redfish and definitely worth wet feet. I'd done the same thing :D
Nothing like that first Redfish, you got that fever now.
Thanks for the report and the pic!

:fishing:
Thank you and if i didnt have it before I definitely do now lol. No problem I couldnt wait to share

·
Registered
322 Posts
Now you just have to hang one on a jighead/soft plastic combo about ten feet out in the surf, have it strip off about forty yards of line, and you will be on the hook for life!! Congrats, brother....keep it up! Happy for you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice fish..................It was all yours too.

Now to get one over 30 and then 40 and someday 50+ if you say your prayers and are in the right place at the right time with the right bait and don't use too much drag too soon and you have plenty of line on the reel................................and the story continues.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Congratulations on the drum. Glad to hear there are some still there in this cold weather. I caught one last fall in the surf in the 2200 block at Myrtle Beach on 17 pound mono. Took almost 30 minutes to put it on the beach, weighed 28 pounds. By the time I landed it there must have been 50 people standing behind me watching. Hope you continue with great catches. Thanks for sharing. Where did you find the bait this time of year?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts