Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding! I thought I might get a rise out of some of you.

Boy am I mean. I hope I did not get any of you too excited!

The stripers will be here in about a month. Until then I will have to keep ice fishing.

Jamey

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
My heart skipped a beat at the thought of some winter flounder fishing even it was at IRI. I'm going to try the Choptank and Romancoke next weekend for winter flounder if the ice is out. At least you got some response out of us in hibernation. :D

Catman. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Catman,
Get some clam or mussel chum and mix with some corn and hang in a bag on the downtide side of the pier. If you can't get this stuff, cat food might work. You can probably pick mussels off the pilings and mash them up yourself. Chum is very important. Concentrate on mud bottomed areas. Good luck. I think March will be the best month to target them. I will make a few trips to Jersey to catch some. They are very tasty.

If you get some, let me know. I might bring my boat down.

Jamey

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Thanks Duke, I've got the chum covered. What kind of depth do you think I should start in? I was thinking somewhere around 6'. I know they're there, just that no one fishes for them. Like I said if the ice is out I'm going next weekend. Even if I only catch a skunk at least the line will be in the water.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm going to start fishing for them at Cape Henlopen;I think they have clams at the grocery store ether canned or fresh.Clams and rice will be my chum;bloodworms will be my bait.It won't be too long until Winter Flounder,Stripers,and Tog come around to hit my hooks.Also, in a cupple of weeks I'll probily try freshwater,and Perch fishing.Boy do I need to get out! :eek:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Jamey,

That was wrong :D

I think we will be headed up to NJ and try that trip in a couple of weeks, maybe first week in March. Maybe even head home to NY for some ice fishing on Lake Champlain.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just happened to be spending the night in dewey beach on valentines day,I didnt even get up the next morning and fish the inlet.
I did hit old inlets schratch and dent sale
some great deals.
I left the beach area around 2 pm saturday.They had a light dusting.
Now you guys know if I didnt fish
there is a reason

·
Registered
45 Posts
I caught Winter Flounder at IRI, Too ! I had a real nice, pleasant trip from here in Baker. I left yesterday morning in the snowmobile, and noted that the drifts were over 4 feet on the road out of my house. Now they're up to 6 feet, it will probably take until May, before they melt. Well, it took all day yesterday, and I was east of Annapolis, heading toward the Bay Bridge, when I spotted an elderly gentleman with his thumb out hitchhiking. I don't normally pick up hitchhikers, especially on the snowmobile, but for the old man, it was so cold. So I picked him up, and we stopped for a cup of coffee. That's when I found out the old boy was destitute. I don't believe in charity, but it was so cold & miserable, that my heart caused my hand to reach into my wallet, and I bought the old guy a ploughmans lunch, a few cups of coffee, and a beer. He asked the waitress for a scrap of paper, and when I dropped him off approaching Wilmington, he pushed the shoebox top into my hand, and said "Thanks, I'm giving you everything". Well, I didn't read it until I got home, because I was so excited about pounding Flounder at the inlet. Well, I have to admit the weather could have been better, but wouldn't you know they was biting like crazy, I had to rig a sled to haul them all home. I couldn't find any place to buy bait, so I had to put Dentyne chewing gum on the hook, and would you believe those flounder ate that chewing gum like it was candy, fish candy ! Well I probably caught 40 Flounder yesterday on chewing gum, all of 'em better that two foot long, I lashed 'em to the sled, and hauled 'em back to Baker. And as for the old man ? Turns out he was crazy. That scrap of paper was his last will & testament, and says he's giving me everything. 100 million dollars, to the best of his knowlege. Silly old man. And who would "Howard Hughes", be, anyway ? Well, I got enough flounder to last until Spring, anyway. And that's the truth as I know , so help me Jesus. Help me, Jesus !

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Yo Jamey, that was a low-down, mean, unforgivable post -- I took it hook, line, and sinker! (Good luck, Catman -- just stay away from any areas with white perch!)

Dang it, Squishy, you left out the part about using two of those big frozen flounders as snowshoes to walk the last twenty miles back home.

Of course my knee surgery was cancelled for a second time because of the Blizzard of '03. Need to get this taken care of soon, or my recovery time will begin to overlap serious fishing time! Spent the extra free time trying to hook up my new scanner and printer to the new computer, only to find out the black ink cartridge is missing and the scanner is "stuck" in the locked position (turns out my three pit bulls knocked the open boxes over last week while roughhousing - of course no one told me!) Now I have to wait until the car gets dug out of a five foot drift and three feet of packed, plowed snow. (Mt 22 year old son "disappeared" two days ago -- guess he knew I was going to assign that task to him!) Wonder how long it would take to melt all that snow using a coleman stove and my big stock pot?

God I miss LAST winter....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flounder snowshoes, I love it!

White perch might definately pose a problem. I never though about that. You know, I have never caught a white perch in shark river while flounder fishing. I did catch a smelt once though. I did not know that smelt ranged that far south. I thought it might be a spearing(atlantic silversides) at first, but openning the mouth revealed many teeth, and it was a little too big.

If you can catch smelt in Jersey, you can catch wf in DE and MD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts