Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catman how was your weekend? Heard you took the boat out and tried to get some fishing in. How did you do? I had a great weekend in MA with the family. Plenty of sun and fun except for the person that almost drowned on the lake we were at. That would have been a real bad end to the 4th of July. I will get a hold of you later on pm or cell to give you a holla. I have my son this week and weekend. Talk to you later.
:)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
FL FISHERMAN...Hard to believe but I didn't wet a line during the weekend. Went out Friday for the 1st real shakedown and to get familiar with the tricky channel leading into my creek. Stayed out about 3 1/2 hrs getting used to the boat. Would have stayed longer but it was too damn hot. Docked the boat and spent the next 1 1/2 hrs drinking cold Buds and sorting fishing tackle. Didn't got out Saturday because of the heat so went to Boat US with my wife and spent over $500.00 on odds and ends for the boat. Sunday took my wife and granddaughter out for a 3 hr ride. Again didn't do any fishing but marked a ton of fish suspended at 16' in 30' of water just off of Sandy Point. Now I'm ready to fish.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet

So did you get that stuff you talked about a few weeks ago? All the goood stuff man.....straight from cuba...:D No j/k the gps and stuff?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Ha, just some necessary stuff like a new porta-potty, an overpriced deck chair for the wife, new Coast Guard signal flares, a couple of life jackets, new mooring lines, deck shoes for the wife and some other assorted overpriced goodies. The boat has Loran, GPS, VHF, a marine AM/FM CD unit, and depth/fish finder. It's all pretty new electronics but I do want a GPS/chart plotter and radar. I'll probably get a Navman GPS/chart plotter unit in a couple of weeks and keep the Loran and existing GPS as backups. The radar will have to wait until September. It'll be at least that long before I feel comfortable running the bay at night.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
That's why they say boating will run you dry! All the little odds and ends you have to have onboard to meet USCG regs.

Didn't see a downrigger on your list? How ya going to catch those big stripers down under the BB? :)

Good luck with the boat. ;) Hope to build mine next Summer and do some Bay fishing myself...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hey Sandcrab,how bout taking that boat down to Quimby; launching it in,beaching it on the Virgina Barrier Islands, and surf fish of those empty beaches on those islands.Black and big Red Drum are caught there on Peelers and mullet. The only way to fish the surf down there is to lauch at Quimby,Wacheprege,or Oyster and drive the boat threw the channels and get to the oceanside islands and beach the boat.About the downriggers, I like them better though my dad only has one on his boat;so I'm used to using my broomsick with rollers and drowning lures with 16oz+ attached.I prefer boat rods and downriggers if I had my own boat.You still have that small boat Sandcrab?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Pappy's right--I've heard from multiple corners that they're killing the big black and reds in the surf on the Va. barrier islands.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I tried fishing for those Drum last time and diddn't get nothing;I'm trying talk my dad into taking me down there so I can catch a big Red.He's dreding the 5 hour drive,but its worth it.If you like Assataegue,you'll love the Barrier Islands more;It's like fishing Assataegue with no one around.I wish I can successfully PM you guys,but I don't know how:eek: .But how bout Sandcrab,me,and Husky get together somtime to get down there and test our heaviers on the Drum.:D

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Sandcrab...I'll probable get a downrigger later in the summer or in the fall. No one is trolling now, only jiging and chumming. Trolling isn't one of my favorite ways to catch fish, sort of takes some of the joy out of it. I bet you can't wait to get started on your boat. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Catman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts