Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went down to dutch gap did some catfishing last sunday got there about 8:00 in the morning,got out in the water started to net some bait,it took two hours to get one nannyshad,and a couple of blugills,so we went in serch for charlie the tuna. we found good spots to fish but they just werent working for us.the day drug on only cachting a 8 pound blue,the end of day came around we decided to fish one last hour by the boat dock,10 minutes fishing and my buddy bows up,resulting with a 38 inch 18 pound bluecat.we packed up and headed home,on my way home i get a call from a bud of mine saying he just got spooled out at hells creek and gotten a couple of nice channel cats on the stringer,me getting skunked all day had me amped up to get out there and see what is going on,get out to hells creek my buddy has like 50 pounds of channel cat on his stringer,start to fish and end up catching 2 channels one at 31 inches,my buddys biggest was 32 inches with a bunch of nice size cats.going down to the james again saturday night to try are luck out,if anybody knows of a good area in va beach to castnet nannyshad im all ears.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hells Creek

Ian, do you have access to a boat, try the opening to Lake Tecumseh at the fallen tree narrow there and deep in spots off the flats,monster cats there when the water is moving, north or south wind. have access to shad.!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know the exact spot your talking about,real good spot to fish, my buddy jeremy caught a 28 pound channel there about 2 months ago.the picture of the fish looked like it was 40 pounds one of the biggest i seen pulled out of there yet ,heard stories of people catching them up to 35 pounds,he caught his on the other side of the tree on the leftside of the opening of the lake,shallow water in there but not to shallow for big fish,im a strong beliver that there is a state record channel cat swimming around out there,went to the bridge past margie and rays today to net some bait got one nanny shad for the james this weekend,fished for a hour or two resulting with two largemouth bass in the one to two pound range,also saw what i belived to be a river otter,deffiently wasnt a muskrat saw it up close, ten years ago didnt see anything like that around ,same with the stripers, a friend of my follwed a sea manate in there for about a mile.its strange what you see lurking in that canal,who knows you might see me lurking out there.(friends with boats )

·
Registered
137 Posts
One of the biggest flounder I ever caught came outta hells creek on a Bagley's Killer B II Fire Tiger. The flounder was alittle over 5 lbs and BLACK. Great fight, pulled him out from under the bridge.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not a fish tale

Theres a flat on both sides, lost a huge fish one day pulled the anchor water was coming out of the lake,fighting the fish, screaming my 6500, my boat was going toward the creek, d#@!. bass boat running about 50 almost cut me in half. only good thing was he had to pull right over into that flat ad wasted his 500$ prop. big striper in there if you learn them! Pulled a 27in largemouth out of there this year. give me a shout lets go fishing? [email protected]. where on the James?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Manatee

that manatee got a name, we had 2 lots in indian cove for years,sitting down ther pullin out citation bowfin,left and right drinking brews, saw that wave it was pushin,called the marine stranding center after i realized i wasn,t trippinn, they {OH THATS i cant remember the name shes just lost again]. got a tracking device on her. comes in through Cory,s ditch! on the causway. glad someone,s seen that besides me!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dutch gap ,a couple of us are headed out there, i think two boats maybe three,all i know is ill be on one with my friend, jr. were going to fish saturday night and try our luck out.going to keep trying to catch shad the next couple of mornings so ill have some bait when i get there,it gets cold trying to catch bait at night at the james.ill post some catfish pictures next week when i develope the pictures of fishing report.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
yeah dutch gap boat dock,power plant is right next to it,went out to catch bait this morning,local spots werent productive,on my way home stopped by a lake i never casted before,made one cast right on to a snag and ended ripping my net to shreds.the fishing trip might be on hold till next weekend,we will see how things pan out,two of the boat owners arent going this weekend but my friend jr,said he is still down to get out there.we will find out tomorow if we are going or not.HAPPY HALLOWEEN.FISHBGY,I am in need of bait,i would like to get up with you, my number is 757 721 2443,just talked to my buddy jr he says if i can get some more bait he will take his boat out tommorw night.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bait

i can borrow one of my friends castnet if need be.
Cast half the afternoon, waters getting colder, fish are 20 to 30 feet from where i can throw got lucky with about 30 4 to 6 in, usually get 100 a cast. . nice talking to you the other day.if you didn,t go like you said,hook up with me this week we,ll get some. Fishbgy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Shad

Whenever I've gone up to Dutch Gap with my friends we just go up to Castaway Sporting Goods on Jefferson Davis and grab some shad. If they're closed they have a cooler that they leave up in front of the door with bait inside it. Grab what you need and you just put your money through the mail slot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts