Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday morning I went fishing off a pier on Chesapeake Bay. When I saw menhaden spashing, I threw my cast net. While handlining my cast net in, I felt a big struggle. Then I saw a big cow nose ray (about 24 inches not including the tail) struggling in my cast net. It was very hard to get the horn up to the pier rail so I could release the ray. A few minutes later, even more menhaden were splashing. Guess what! I caught another cow nose ray (probably the same one) in my cast net again. After I released it, my arms and shoulders were sore. A few minutes later, the menhaden disappeared. :mad:

Later on in the morning, I caught a cow nose ray on my rod. I broke it off, and I think it went on to get on another fisherman's rod. The rod was a freshwater rod, and the other guy fought it for 30 minutes. He was still fighting it when I left for home knowing that there would be more cow nose rays. I don't know why he bothered to fight it as he would eventually lose it, or if he catches it, what is he going to do with it? Also, every one else had to bring his or her rod in :rolleyes:

By the way, when I was getting ready to go home, a lady caught a legal rockfish.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Cownose rays in castnets huh! That must of been fun. I know what you are saying about them in the schools of menhadden. Last year I was down at PAX NAS and I saw about 10 rays between 50-60 lbs a piece just running through schools of menhadden. At first I thought they were porpoises from afar, until I got close and saw them gliding on top of the water.:rolleyes: So is this place a secret spot to you greencart?;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
You fight and catch a ray for the same reason as an amberjack, for the challenge of bringing him in, especially on light tackle.

If you ever practice catch and release, you know what I mean. I fish for meat also, but mostly catch and release.

·
Registered
37 Posts
battlin cow nose

well when the brown suit isnt hitting catching a big ray is worth the fight .catch'em release'em.so i dont complain about these so called "nuisance" as some times they are all you can get and thats better than getting skunked all the way..

·
Registered
689 Posts
keep them busy

and dont forget while someone is battleing a ray you open the oppurtunity for someone to catch some sporty query maybe a rock fish;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts