Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I cast I swing my 12 ft rod over my right shoulder (being a right hander)
I release my index finger from the line at about 12.30pm ( 190 to 200 degrees)
I usually get great height but not the equivalent distance.
I use 30lb line and a 4 oz sinker
Can anyone suggest a correction to this technique.
Where I live in Trinidad West Indies , its important to get the cast over the breakers but I never do.

·
Registered
712 Posts
what rod are you using? you said you're using 30lb is that mono?are you using a shockleader too? i'm guessing you're using an overhand cast too so with out knowing what rod you're using i'd say drop down to a lighter lb test line or even better switch to braid, use a leather glove for your right hand, and watch a casting video and focus on the unitech aka brighton or high inertia cast. start with this and get back to us.

·
Registered
712 Posts
well if you want to start there ok if you're releasing at 1230 like you said that would be roughly 95 degrees from the horizontal plane look at the + sign you're releasing before the vertical plane which results in high arcing casts with no distance. your release point should be between 10 and 11 o'clock or 60-75 degrees which would give you a high arcing and long distance cast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.