Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know anything about the brighton style of cast and just started hearing about it , can anybody tell me more about this casting style?:) :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Brighton style was devloped in Brighton, UK for fishing from narrow rock jetties where space was at a premium. It is bascically an Off The Ground cast with the lead tucked inside the rod tip. BE CAREFULL, this generates a lot of power early on and can lead to burnt thumbs and broken tips if the power is not applied progressively. BB

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The brighton is sweet. You get good distance and it is safe b/c all of the power is applied in a straight line. The weight does not swing around wildly. I learned this technique from the Capitol Longcasters. Good bunch of guys. Definately use a shock leader. The power comes from the body. The snap comes from the arms. It is similar to a golf swing, in that practice is the only way to figure it out.

1. With about 4 feet of line between rod tip and sinker, position your sinker on the ground towards your back foot. Rod tip is on the ground.

2. Back up a little to remove slack from your drop (4 feet of line to the weight).

3. Both arms straight above head, tip still on ground, weight on Back foot.

4. Shift weight foreward keeping arms straight.

5. Finish by keeping right arm straight (fulcrum) and pull into your chest with left hand. This gives your cast the snap you want for long distance.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your responses, very informative, I had the pleasure of fishing with longranger and others at spsp last night-L.R. was very good at pointing out my weak spots and helping me with the brighton casting style- once i caught on to it ,noticed distance improvements right away! thanks to the long Ranger for his help. i do believe armed with the brighton and being able to smooth out my cast, I will be on my way to obtaining the distance i have been striving for-thanks guys -tight lines and bent rods for everyone. Tony Q. aka dcfishman
:)

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cast style reply

Hello blackbeard so surprised to see your response to my post on the pierandsurf board. I am very much looking forward to meeting you at the casting clinic and receiving casting instructions from you I have been on your web site a lot and i do have a 525 penn mag that I use on a 11.5 tica rod - have been trying to reach 600 ft but for the life of me i cant seem to get just there my stroke is very strong but i think i am still not loading the rod properly -allways had a 15 ft. seahawk from wallmart to much flex but still get about 130yds. with my version of the off the ground technique, but recently trying to restructure my casting style to the brighton and needless to say- its a work in progress---well thanks again for the response i really do appreciate it Tony Q.aka dcfishman:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Dc , if you are getting close to 600' with an 11.5 tica ,you don't need much in the way of lessons .Check with the other DC area casters for rod selection ,they can steer you to a good rod suited to longer distances than what the tica is capable of , not knocking the tica but 600' is probably its limit in anybody hands.

·
Registered
467 Posts
NIce Meeting You

Hey DCFishman,

It was nice meeting you at SPSP Sunday. Those few casting tips you gave me really helped. I am going to need more practice if im going to get the distance i want. I was amazed at how far you were casting. I tried the Brighton cast and i saw my disatnce change. Once i get it down to a science I know the distance will come. Thanks agan for your help...........Tight Lines

MC

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cast styles

Mater caster-- not a problem anything i can do to help you out give me a holla. I am still serching for longer distances in my casting techniques, so i am still a work in progress. Well take it easy and see u again soon . dcfishman:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
i'm getting around 500' on brighton cast. what is the maxium distance one can get on brighton?? is 600' cast possible with brighton cast?? or is casting style like pendulum required for longer cast?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don't quote me, but I think some have hit over 600 feet using the cast. Peter Thain or Led could tell you for sure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
To be honest I couldn't tell you the maximum range of a 'Brighton Cast'. Though I have cast over 660' with a 175gm on 0.35mm using this technique as a demonstration.

As LongRanger has stated the limits are the caster and not the style.

Led.

·
Registered
58 Posts
andy i,ve seen ade do over 780ft with it 8(---) 150g + .35mm

mind you it was windy but there again arent all the big distances done when its windy.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Pete,

The 'Brighton Cast' is probably the most under used cast in the world, it's safe, easy to use & gets good distances. :)

Perhaps we should have a "Brighton" only event somewhere just to see how far we can get a sinker to go with this style. :eek:

Catch you later - Led.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i,m up for that andy,

its the nwsa this weekend so i,ll have a go and let you know what sort of distances i do, i might even take some rigs and see how far it will put a bait? after all thats what its all about, getting a bait out to where the fish are either long or short.

and yes since we are on a field i,ll take some "hare" rigs :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Pete,

Make it realistic and use Jelly worms, watch out for the Grass Carp :D

Keep it to 150/0.31 to give some credibility to your test and I'll do the same but I'll be at Samphire Hoe tryimg to catch fish ;)

Andy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ok will do

i just hope the grass has been cut i hate fishing blind and if the scots lads come down they might let some haggis loose.....a nightmare in long grass.......its tuck your trousers into your socks time :eek:

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the wonderfull information guys-but let me say this , I have a tape by Nick Myers of breakaway tackle and he demonstates this cast in his video and calls it the UNI TECH methode so thats what i knew this style to be so as far as casting styles go -do we-are we -will we know this cast style ( the brighton ) to allso be known as the UNITECH METHODE??
dcfishman.:) :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts