Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK boys (and girls) school the stupid here about the main differences between Casting vs Spinning rods for surf. Can a spinning rod on a casting reel? Looking for a rod for a 525mag in the 10' to 12' range

·
Banned
328 Posts
First of all welcome to P&S! Regarding your question the main difference is that the "rings" on a spinning rod had to be larger to accomodate the way the line come off a spinning reel, in loops. The line on your 525 will come off in a straight line and can be used with the smaller "rings" on a conventional style rod. To complicate matters further you can get a custom made rod with "low riders" that will accomodate spinning or conventional reels.

I have a few Abu conventionals, a couple of saltists and 3 525's. They are all great reels but I learned on a Penn 525 mag and it's still the 1st one on a rod. I still bring that rod too, an Ocean Master but the Tica rods are nice too. Just my .02 and again welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.