Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Jeremy: Thank you for this post. I am heading to Hatteras in a month and I have terrible trigger finger in my right index finger. I was wondering how I was going to cast some of my spinning rods. Now I know! Thank you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So it doesn't wear over time into the rod grip where it wraps around?
After extensive trials with this method, I found it not to work very well ... not at all well for heaving, that is. If you are continuously casting with a cold, wet finger, it helps. But, when you heave, all of the tension on the line will pull out from under your thumb regardless how firmly you hold it down. And yes, you cannot use it over foam, cork or any other soft material. I actually mounted a sleeve of hard plastic (a split pill bottle) where the wrap occurred. That worked flawlessly in that regard but still, casting 8 n bait from a spinner ... even 4 n bait, the line WILL pull from under your thumb well before you get fully loaded.
Less than heaving, it does work well. One main problem I had was that the twist of the line around the blank tended to spin the upper half of the around misaligning the eyes. The ferrule is only so tight. The harder you cast, the more it tends to twist the rod. But, for all day casting with a wet, cold, tender, thin skinned lady finger ..... it does do well.
YMMF, JMO,
Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts