Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
im looking to get a casting rod and reel for pier and surf. I know not one rod will do it all but im looking for something I can also use off the kayak in the ocean for Spanish/bull reds and even off pilings for sheephead. Im looking to get a 7 or maybe 7'6 med hvy to hvy. no clue on what kind of reel to get. kind of on a budget as well so looking at a 80$ price range for a rod and another 80$ for a reel. any ideas on what kind of line to use, etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also looking for something I can cast a good bit, not looking for a heaver just something to get me into reds at the surf and cast off the pier enough to get the bull reds there

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
also looking for something I can cast a good bit, not looking for a heaver just something to get me into reds at the surf and cast off the pier enough to get the bull reds there
I think you would be better suited with a spinning setup, since they offer a little more versatility with regards to casting a variety of weights. A 7 ft. or 7.5 ft. medium action rod paired with something like a Daiwa SS 1600 loaded with 15 lb braid would do it all. It's a somewhat big reel but pretty lightweight, and I find it balances well on surprisingly light rods. This setup would allow you to chunk Gulps on a jighead from the beach, but it would have the line capacity and drag to land a bull drum if you came across one. This reel is old school but tough as nails, and while it's a little out of your price range new (~$100) you can find them on sale sometimes, and used all the time, for well within your price range. They have been made the same since like 1987 so parts availability is no concern.

If you're dead set on a casting setup, there are many reels that would do what you're seeking. The newfangled inshore-specific low-profile baitcasters (Abu Revo and Shimano Curado models for this) would work great, but are expensive. If you can't tell, I'm a little old school and my choice would be an old Ambassadeur 5000 (or 5500) with spool tensioners on both sides, or a similar Daiwa Millionaire 4H or 4HS. Both would be available used in great shape for under $40, sometimes well under that. I do not know of a new baitcaster in the $80 range that would do all you're seeking, since I do not trust new Ambassadeurs or their competitors for heavy saltwater use.

Oh, as for the rod: Ugly Stik light, or Ugly Stik Custom, in 7 or 7.5 foot medium, spinning or casting, will be just fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you would be better suited with a spinning setup, since they offer a little more versatility with regards to casting a variety of weights. A 7 ft. or 7.5 ft. medium action rod paired with something like a Daiwa SS 1600 loaded with 15 lb braid would do it all. It's a somewhat big reel but pretty lightweight, and I find it balances well on surprisingly light rods. This setup would allow you to chunk Gulps on a jighead from the beach, but it would have the line capacity and drag to land a bull drum if you came across one. This reel is old school but tough as nails, and while it's a little out of your price range new (~$100) you can find them on sale sometimes, and used all the time, for well within your price range. They have been made the same since like 1987 so parts availability is no concern.

If you're dead set on a casting setup, there are many reels that would do what you're seeking. The newfangled inshore-specific low-profile baitcasters (Abu Revo and Shimano Curado models for this) would work great, but are expensive. If you can't tell, I'm a little old school and my choice would be an old Ambassadeur 5000 (or 5500) with spool tensioners on both sides, or a similar Daiwa Millionaire 4H or 4HS. Both would be available used in great shape for under $40, sometimes well under that. I do not know of a new baitcaster in the $80 range that would do all you're seeking, since I do not trust new Ambassadeurs or their competitors for heavy saltwater use.

Oh, as for the rod: Ugly Stik light, or Ugly Stik Custom, in 7 or 7.5 foot medium, spinning or casting, will be just fine.
not 100% dead set on a caster. I do have a surf rod now, 9ft star stellar 1-4oz, with a penn confict 4k with 30lb braid. I was thinking about keeping my reel and just getting a 7ft med hvy or hvy action rod. for the sheeps, bulls, Spanish and albies out of the kayak. my buddy uses a 7ft okuma for the surf and it casts a pretty good ways.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You'd be happy with the Battle on a 7ft or 7.5ft rod. Choosing a rod for this application is not rocket science, just find something that balances well with your reel that can handle the weight you're looking to cast. I'm sure the Okuma is a fine rod for the dough.

This setup would be just fine from the kayak for the species you mentioned. Just be ready to reel really fast if you get into spanish and especially albies, and make sure the drag is in good shape.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
If you go conventional, and are fishing with bait, I'd recommend a Penn 525 Mag or Squall 15 on a 7',6" "Flippin' Stick". They're usually rated for 12 - 25 lb +/- and have a casting weight range of 3/4 - 2 3/4 oz +/- .

Spinning tackle is another option, especially for tossing lures, but you would need to make sure the drag is up to the task, since you mentioned Bull Reds.

Tight Lines !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'd be happy with the Battle on a 7ft or 7.5ft rod. Choosing a rod for this application is not rocket science, just find something that balances well with your reel that can handle the weight you're looking to cast. I'm sure the Okuma is a fine rod for the dough.

This setup would be just fine from the kayak for the species you mentioned. Just be ready to reel really fast if you get into spanish and especially albies, and make sure the drag is in good shape.
what size reel? and does anyone know the difference between boat rods and normal rods? I was looking on the daiwa website and couldn't tell a difference

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
A boat rod generally refers to a short, fairly stiff rod, without casting ability being a concern . . . Usually used for trolling or bottom-fishing from a, you guessed it, "boat" ( Piers & Bridges, too ).

A "normal" rod usually has more emphasis put on things that the boat rod doesn't do well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A boat rod generally refers to a short, fairly stiff rod, without casting ability being a concern . . . Usually used for trolling or bottom-fishing from a, you guessed it, "boat" ( Piers & Bridges, too ).

A "normal" rod usually has more emphasis put on things that the boat rod doesn't do well.
got it. does anyone have a spinning rod recommendation?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.