Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,
I am looking for a new casting rod. I King fish from a pier uing 6 to 8 oz anchors. I am using a 535 penn reel but I may switch to a 525 if I can find one. What would you suggest for a rod.
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
823 Posts
whats the use of the rod....?

is it going to be a heaver for the anchor or a fighting rod?

·
Registered
668 Posts
any heaver 10 to 12 ft will do if its classed for 8 oz of weight. ive seen all types used, some i could not believe. if you want a good but inexpensive heaver, try the pinicale classic. 11.6 ft weighted to 9 ozs and usually on sale , especially this time of year, for 89 to 99 bucks. by the way a 525 will work well with it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
yea what demonfish said

·
Registered
206 Posts
Basspro has their Ocean Master rods on sale ($40 off) and they have a 12' surf rod rated 6-12oz. I got one last weekend i'll be trying out tonight. I ended up getting it for about $80.

·
Registered
41 Posts
TopSailbum,
What do you mean by an anchor rod? Do you guys throw 8 oz's
and use it as an anchor?
I've never heard that expression here in New Jersey.
Thanks
Gordon

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depending on your finacial status you have 3 choices.Realy it does not matter about your income.You can buy those 300 dollar rods but I don't think you will get a better rod than say, The Tsunami TSTSC 12 footer.Rated at XH and 6 to 10 oz lure weight. Or a Tica , Ocean Master, or Okuma Solarus of close to the same rating .They are all under 100 and very simular.I have a Tsunami and will soon have a Okuma.( Its in the mail.) My Tsunami will throw bricks if I wanted it to.The okuma Solarus Casting version will not be out until December. But I am getting one( a 10 foot heavy ) early to keep and test out.I love free stuff.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I forgot to mention the Basspro sale was in store. I don't know if it's only the Arundel Mills (Baltimore) location or nationwide. sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
668 Posts
ok gord,,,, and anchor rod is used when king rigging off of a pier. you throw out a weighted hook from 6 to 8 oz which digs itself in the sand . tighten the line and it act as sort of an outrigger from which you slide your live bait down to live bait fish fpr the big boys. get the idea??

·
Registered
823 Posts
20# MONO with 6' 50# shock leader. thats my personal preference. some use the super lines, braids etc. i use the above

·
Registered
668 Posts
on my 7500 abu i use 20lb andes hi viz yellow. for shock i use 50 lb yozuri. you need shock in the length of the rod twice and enough for about 8 to 10 wraps of the spool.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Demonfish

I have noticed very few people use a snap swivel on their anchor.
Why is this? I never have myself but one would think it would make putting an anchor on and off much easier.

·
Registered
186 Posts
PLEASE!
Everybody realize that a shock leader is something that takes 4-5 turns around the spool of the reel! A leader that does not connect to the reel provides absolutly NO shock protection whatsoever and is VERY dangerous. There is no difference between using a 6 foot leader and just using the running line. The potential for breakoff if the leader is not connected to the spool is huge. Please realize that for your safetey as well as the safety of those around you you must use a REAL shock leader which wraps around the spool. Thanks and sorry for the rant.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are correct.I usualy wind my leader on five turns around the spool. Out through the guides of the rod and back to the reel.Short leaders are for wear from structure and fish.

·
Registered
668 Posts
b3, i always use a large snap swivil on the end of my shock. for simple ease of change is the main reason. before i throw out my anchor i always throw a 6 oz lead first just to make sure the line is loose and i dont nest when i do throw the anchor, saves on anchors breaking off.

as far as the wraps on the spool of shock leader, other then for safty reasons, when you pull a large fish up to the pier and he decides to jet around a piling, you have a better chance of landing him when your trying to hold his head out of the water using 50 rather then 20 lb line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts