Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed some rods say conventional rods and others say casting. And I feel like with a 11ft+ rod you aren't going to be putting a baitcaster on it. So my question is can you pair a conventional reel with a "casting" rod?

Link to rod: AVID SERIES® SURF CASTING RODS

Can these be used with conventional reels, such as- Avet MXJ 5.8 MC Single Speed Lever Drag Casting Reels Gold

This would mainly be used to cast an anchor line for king fishing off the end of salt water piers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, there are a plenty of 5 and 6 series Ambassadeurs, Omoto's, Akios on 11-12 rods, and they are certainly baitcasters, doing fishing, let alone on a tourney field on 13-plus rods. I'm gonna go as above: originally, revolving spool reels came before by a century, so when spinners arrived, the question was spinning or conventional? Spincast even later but closer to spinning reels. I'd agree that today conventional indicates a larger revolving spool reel with star drag. I'd put lever drag in it's own realm, but that's my 0.02. The ulua guys in Hawaii are casting extra-width 4/0 Senators on 12 or longer rods with bait, and that's a conventional in every sense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, there are a plenty of 5 and 6 series Ambassadeurs, Omoto's, Akios on 11-12 rods, and they are certainly baitcasters, doing fishing, let alone on a tourney field on 13-plus rods. I'm gonna go as above: originally, revolving spool reels came before by a century, so when spinners arrived, the question was spinning or conventional? Spincast even later but closer to spinning reels. I'd agree that today conventional indicates a larger revolving spool reel with star drag. I'd put lever drag in it's own realm, but that's my 0.02. The ulua guys in Hawaii are casting extra-width 4/0 Senators on 12 or longer rods with bait, and that's a conventional in every sense.
Bottom line, you do what works best for you, financially and performance-wise and call it what you like :)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I've noticed some rods say conventional rods and others say casting. And I feel like with a 11ft+ rod you aren't going to be putting a baitcaster on it. So my question is can you pair a conventional reel with a "casting" rod?

Link to rod: AVID SERIES® SURF CASTING RODS

Can these be used with conventional reels, such as- Avet MXJ 5.8 MC Single Speed Lever Drag Casting Reels Gold

This would mainly be used to cast an anchor line for king fishing off the end of salt water piers.

Thanks!
Yes!! 👍

·
Registered
30 Posts
'Conventional' generally refers to the large round reels used on boat and surf rods. 'Baitcasting' generally refers to the smaller, low profile reels used for bass fishing. They are basically the same style, with different applications.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a baymaster Penn 180 that I’m pairing to a medium heavy fresh water casting rod of indeterminate length (I have yet to buy it) which is basically what you are referring to.the Baymaster is a narrower reel than most surf reels like the beach master andSurfmaster,this makes it handier for inshore and large freshwater fish like blue cats ,channel cats and Stripers ,and of course it’s should be quite capable due to its salt water origins,as long as the operator does his job.
What it comes down to is you can do what you want,if it works for you,great,a pure casting reel and/ or rod will be lighter and easier to cast,a small conventional rod and/ or reel may be easily castable or in bigger sizes nearly or impossible to cast ,depending on your body size,I guess if you were big enough you could cast a big Penn Senator!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The only "baitcasting" reel I use in the salt is my Shimano Curado 300EJ with an 8' St Croix Tidemaster rod. Great for casting to flounder or blues up close...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh, just got a. Penn Senator 6/0 for a good price,while not the biggest reel around by a long shot it might be a hand full to cast,I have to service it and check the innards out,but seems in great condition but for the crud and oxidation ,basically it’s old and dirty ,like me ,kind of!

·
Registered
70 Posts
6/0 can be done, but wouldn't be my choice. Soak everything but the drags in simple green 50% a couple of days to degrease, wipe off, and soak the metal bits in white vinegar. You'll be amazed how clean it can get. Happy to help you if you need help putting back together. I've done a couple hundred.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts